Chapter 7

-March 24, 2015-

All Sophiea and Nathanial's classes passed quickly, without disruption, until workshop. Mr. Keaston was nice and all. He kept looking up at Sophiea and his eyes lit up, the dark circles from beneath his eyes would melt away. But with the knowledge of him being a Hydra agent, Sophiea couldn't concentrate on what he was saying. It was something along the lines of "If you put your hand in the machine it will rip it off, then you would cry, and I wouldn't care because it was your fault."

She looked over at Nathanial who looked horrified at what the teacher was saying. It hadn't been hard to get along with him. He was funny and kind.

Nathanial nudged Sophiea, breaking her out of her thoughts. "He told us to go to the back room and frankly I'm scared. I am not shocked that this man worked for Hydra."

Sophiea laughed. "Come on. Let's go fight the big bad machine that will mangle your hand and scar your soul."

"Hey. No. That's not funny. I'm terrified. Do not laugh at my pain. Sophiea come back!!" The dark-haired girl had begun to walk off. "Plus, I don't know what to do. He said something about saws and nail guns and- and."

"You will be fine. We need to go. Also, he said we were building birdhouses." And with a flip of her hair, Sophiea walked out of the room followed by a fretting Nathanial.

....

"How was your first day at school?" Phil asked when the teens climbed into the car. Sophiea started to laugh and Nathanial shuddered.

"We found your guy. " The blond said with a frightened look. "He scares me and Sophiea won't let me live it down. When can we take this guy out?"

"You can 'take him out' whenever you want. This is your mission, but as an older more experienced agent I would recommend waiting a little bit, until he trusts you more. Also, don't do it during school hours unless completely necessary. We don't know if he has a gun and we don't want innocent bystanders injured or killed."

They had pulled into the driveway of their rental house by now and were sitting there as the uneasy couple thought about what Phil just said.

The thought of people being hurt because of them had never come to their mind. The novelty of the mission started to wear off. They hopped out of the car and Nathanial turned to his partner trying to bring the mood back up.

"Hey Sophiea, um, do you want to, um, go to ice cream with me?" Nathanial said quickly and with her back turned she didn't see the thumbs up Phil gave the nervous boy.

"I don't see why not. Only on one condition." He nodded excitedly. "You have to take your jacket back. I am dying of heat!"

"Well, I don't want to wear it! We'll just have to leave it here." They turned to go, and Sophiea got an evil glint in her eye.

"I have one more condition." Nathanial turned around, "You have to give me a piggy-back ride to the ice cream shop."

Phil laughed and watched the retreating form of the children he was assigned to watch. He wished he could protect them, he loved both as his own, but this was their mission. He sighed and walked into the house.

Nathanial ran down the street lined with cute little homes, holding Sophiea on his back. She had her arms out stretched and was pretending to fly. They laughed and soon the ice cream shop came into view.

"Little Anne's Sweet Ice." Sophiea read. "I think I just threw up in my mouth. Who names their shop 'Little Anne's Sweet Ice'? Are you sure there is nowhere else?"

"I think it's a completely normal name for an ice cream shop in a small town. It's charming. Let's go in." And with that Nathanial pushed the door open.

They were immediately blasted with cold air, and the temperature dropped several degrees. Besides being cold the shop was entirely pink. Pink walls, pink booths, pink tables and chairs. There were a few people scattered here and there, so Sophiea and Nathanial walked to the back corner and slipped into a booth.

"Yes. This is so charming. I just threw up in my mouth. Nat! Why is everything pink? It reminds me of my 16th birthday, where my family painted our whole house pink! I hate pink, give me a nice green and black any day, but pink, it's hideous!"

Nathanial was laughing. "For starters, you called me Nat. I like it. Secondly, it is downright adorable how much you hate pink. I on the other hand have no problem with pink. I think it's a great color. Something bright and happy."

"I'm not adorable. It's too cheesy. Sounds like something my father would say." Sophiea muttered as the waitress came over.

"Hey, you two, I'm Whitney what would you like today?" Sophiea gaged when she saw Whitney's pink shirt and apron, but Nathanial responded coolly.

"I would like a," he quickly glanced at the menu, "Triple chocolate extreme. And Sophiea, what would you like?"

"I would like an English toffee; can we have both in a medium cone? Thank you."

As Whitney was walking off to the back room with the orders, a few people came over to the booth.

"Hey, freaks. Welcome to our town." The group consisted of about 7 people from school and the speaker slid on the bench next to Sophiea.

"Hey, Charlette. How's the biology homework going?" Nathanial smirked. The girl, Charlette turned red and sputtered out incoherent words.

"I think it would be best if you just left us alone." Sophiea said.

"Listen I don't think you are as mean and tough as you look. I bet you're just two softies who don't know what they're doing." Charlette hissed.

"And I don't think you are as nice as you look or pretend to look. I mean how can I tell what you look like under all that make up?" Sophiea shot back without hesitating. "Now I would love it if you left me and my friend alone."

The group turned and made their way out into the sweltering heat. Charlette turned back and stuck her tongue out at Sophiea as she walked.

"Wow. So mature." Sophiea laughed, "What was up with asking about biology homework? It seemed to hit her home though. Nice work."

"She sits next to me in bio, and she was having the hardest time with the homework. I of course finished it with many minutes to spare." He pretend to flip his short hair, causing Sophiea to laugh.

Soon the waitress came out with their ice cream and the couple ate in silence. And when the time came, they walked home hand in hand. Sophiea leaned against Nathanial, her head laying on his shoulder. It was peaceful and the only think that was heard was crickets and the teens quiet chatter. They talked on the rickety porch of their house until the stars were out, and lights began to go out along the street. Sophiea fell asleep on Nathanial and he carried her into the house and set her on her bed.

She stirred and rolled over in her sleep. Little did she know that millions of miles away, for the first time in years, a solitarily prisoner of a lonely cell, got a visitor.

"Thor, what are you doing here?" He whispered, his voice was horse from years of not speaking.

"I have come to inform you that I will be moving you to a cell on Midgard for a small period while this one," the golden-haired man gestured around, "gets updated. It's not much just a few days but I wish for you to be prepared."

Thor turned and walked a few steps, but he soon turned back. "I love you, my brother."

"Then why didn't you come sooner? Why didn't you come and help me grieve? Is this truly love?"