Chapter 17

She held on while she could.

Before her, Josie's father rested unconscious and breathing heavy from his most recent seizure. The intervals between them, they were becoming hourly. So, Carli called her in order to break the bad news.

It was nearing the time that she and everyone else dreaded.

It was time to pull the plug.

The only question left though, was just when exactly she was ready? Doing it, it made Jo feel like she was betraying him, giving up on the only family she had left in this world.

He was in pain though. More than she could ever imagine; and if he knew who she was, Josie knew he would beg her to make it stop.

"We have him sedated." Carli put her hand on Josie's shoulder. The touch made her tense immediately. She hated people feeling bad for her, it just seemed to make the situation so much worse. "It should minimize his seizures until you're ready to make the decision."

Her answer was short lived. There was no getting around the next stages ahead of them. It was now or never, end his suffering while he still had some dignity left within him. That's what he would want, its what her mother would have wanted. "Do it." Her voice cracked as she turned away from Carli.

Carli looked at her a little disappointed. "Josie dear, I think you should-"

"He's suffering." She hissed before rising to her feet. "You said it yourself there is nothing else to do. "

"But still, I-"

"Tonight." She swallowed hard knowing she wouldn't allow herself to cry in front of the woman nor her father.

The room went quiet. "Are you sure you're-"

"Do it when the sun goes down." The young girl sighed before swinging her backpack onto her shoulders. Again, Carli stared at her and stepped along side the young girl while moving towards the exit hoping to cut her off.

"Josie I-"

Cutting her off first though, Josie wrapped her arms around Carlis torso and pulled her close. Together, their bodies mended, and Josie could have sworn she began to feel her mother's touch through Carli's. It was warm, comforting, and the scent of her mother churned each memory she had of her in the back of her mind.

"Thank you." Josie muttered into the woman. "For everything Carli, but we both know this is what's best for him."

Then, pulling away, Josie headed towards the exit. However, this time, she stopped and looked back to her sleeping father. He didn't even look like himself anymore, he looked withered- dried, worn down... her father looked like he was ready to give up.

So, so was she.

Josie already said her goodbyes.

So, she exited the room leaving the nurse to stare at the closing door motionless.

It broke the woman's heart, seeing a child have to go through something like this. Of course they knew about her mother, her records were in every medical building around New York. So, just knowing that the girl was alone- it magnified her situation so much more.

There was nothing Carli could do though. Seeing this stuff was her job, it's what she had to deal with. The only difference between Carli and Josie was, Josie didn't sign up for any of this.

This wasn't her choice.

It was her life.

================================