Part 4

Matthias and the other soldiers marched a few weeks until they reached the outskirts of Athens. The march was relatively uneventful. Luckily, the troops accepted him as one of them. He wondered if he would ever get the chance to tell his brother his real identity. He wondered who his father was. He wondered who his mother was. He wondered if they had loved him. Or had they adopted this typical Spartan attitude and wanted to be rid of him? What if they would not accept him? What if they turned him over to the government and had him killed?

Perhaps it would be best not to try to find out at all, Matthias thought. Maybe I should desert the army and go back to Sparta, where at least the community of slaves cares for me. No one would be able to trace a slave to a missing warrior. He contemplated this for a few moments. No, he decided. I would rather find out how my family feels about me rather than live the rest of my life never knowing.

Still, he felt rather despondent about the whole idea. That is, until Andrew caught sight of him. Andrew had befriended him, and so had Peter, though rather begrudgingly. Andrew couldn't seem to stand the sight of anyone who was depressed. He just couldn't wait to play a practical joke on someone, though never in the sight of General Arion. Everyone seemed to have a fear of that man. He was highly respected and all of the new soldiers in this troop desperately wanted to prove themselves to the General, though none as badly as Matthias.

Matthias found himself walking alone on a ridge near the end of the mountain pass. As he quietly picked his way along the path, he heard a few odd noises. Footsteps came from behind him, and something crouched in the bushes off to his far right. The footsteps seemed to slow and tried to quiet themselves. They came up right behind Matthias. Just as two hands reached up for his neck, Matthias ducked, turned and drew his sword in single swift movement. Andrew shrieked with alarm. Peter burst from the bushes, laughing heartily at the failed joke. Matthias stood and sheathed his sword. He couldn't help smiling at the surprised soldier. Andrew held, in his hands, a rather frightened toad, who promptly hopped away, croaking with indignation.

"That was the funniest thing I have ever seen. The look on your face was priceless!" Peter barely managed to choke out as he laughed.

Andrew stood with a sheepish expression on his face. He still seemed a bit shaken. He looked at Matthias with a little bit of awe on his face.

"How'd you hear me? I've played that trick a hundred times, and no one's ever heard me! I must be losing my touch."

"Oh, that's just something I learned from . . . from my father. He was really good at stuff like that."

"Well, that's the last time I sneak up on you!" Andrew said. Just as he had spoken, there was a bit of a commotion toward the front of the troop. Andrew set off to investigate with Peter and Matthias trailing behind.

When they reached the front of the company, they realized what the commotion was. The city of Athens was in sight. The long stone wall that extended from the city to the port had several soldiers standing guarding. A large encampment of Spartans was visible. General Arion called his men together.

"There is King Pausanias's army. They have just reached Athens. Come, men. We join the king."

Everyone adopted General Arion's quiet, solemn attitude. Even Andrew lost his good-natured smile and looked especially tough, for him, that is. As the men marched, Matthias wondered if the city really would fall soon. He wondered who would die in the battle. His insecurities rose in his mind. Would they all die? Was this a good idea? He could still make a run for it. But then he wouldn't find the answer to the question that troubled his mind. He pushed the questions away and concentrated on the camp ahead.

When they reached the camp, they set up their bedrolls closest to the wall in order to protect the king. Matthias hoped they would be safe. As night grew closer, the number of guards on the wall increased. The tension rose, and everyone could feel a battle brewing. But night fell without an attack on either side. As Matthias lay down to sleep, he tried to subdue his worries, but he could not prevail.