Chapter 3

Dean revved the engine and pulled away from Bobby's house. He watched with guilt filled eyes as you stood with your arms wrapped around your middle. He tried taking a mental picture of you, of your Y/H/C hair flowing in the light breeze, how your Y/E/C eyes shined in the mid afternoon sunlight. Leaving you was one of the hardest decisions he'd ever made. Seeing the sadness and disappointment in your eyes made his heart clench in his chest. But he couldn't ignore the feelings bubbling within him, feelings that were completely foreign and shook him to the core.

This was the best thing to do to keep you safe. To keep you from falling for him and then having your heart crushed when he's pulled away from you. You already lost Carter, the pixie like girl who was more of a sister than a friend to you. You couldn't lose him too.

"It's for the best, Dean," Sam said. The youngest Winchester brother watched as his elder brother gripped the steering wheel tightly and tried to keep his emotions at bay. He felt for him. Dean had never had feelings for someone like he had for you. Ever since they were teenagers, Sam knew Dean had liked you as more than a friend. It was in the way he looked at you. The way he acted around you. The way he talked about you.

But as he got older and as you got older, that teen crush turned into something deeper. Something that Dean never thought he would feel for someone. The worst part about it was that he was never going to get the chance to act on it. That he'd never get the chance to call you his. It broke his heart to know he must have broken yours. It broke his heart to know he would never see you again. He had a little less than three months left and all he wanted to do was spend them with you. But he wouldn't die knowing he had led you on to his death. He wouldn't hurt you more than he already has.

Over the next couple months, it was a blur of the brothers drowning themselves in cases and looking for ways to save Dean from the inevitable. Dean would think of you everyday, his guilt for leaving and lying to you eating away at him. He ignored the text messages and phone calls from you. He talked to Bobby and would hang up when he began talking about you. Anything and everything reminded him of you. The waitress at the diner he ate at the night before, the floral scent when he took a shortcut through a park to get to the coffee shop across the way, even the damn flannel a stranger was wearing, the colors the same as your eyes.

He tried everything to try to forget you. He'd fuck anyone who threw themselves his way, he gotten rid of anything you'd ever gotten him. His heart was screaming at him, horribly craving the care you'd give him. But he still couldn't do it to you.

But eventually the phone calls and messages stopped. He knew you had given up. And with the help of the bar skanks and hard liquor, he had too.

And then he saw you. You were walking down the sidewalk in a small town in Tennessee. He knew you must have been there for the same reason he and Sam was, the vengeful spirit at a local hospital. He was in the impala, listening to a cassette and drumming his fingers on the wheel when he saw a Y/H/C haired woman turn the corner. His breath caught in his throat when the sudden emotions he spent so long trying to bury with girls and alcohol came bubbling to the surface. It was in the way you carried yourself, the slight sway in your hips and the way your shoulders were straight and confident that made him weak in the knees. If he were standing, he would have buckled to the ground. You hadn't seen him, having gone into a sandwich shop.

He was so tempted to run in after you. To grab you and crush you to him in a bone crushing hug. He debated with himself for almost ten minutes before you walked back out with a bag in your hand. You turned your back on him and walked back down the sidewalk. He watched with a torn head, follow after you or stay true to his promise to himself. But before he could act on either option, you turned down the street and disappeared around the corner.