Ch 1: Meeting the New Student

*SN: Saiki's thoughts are in Italics / other people's thoughts are in quotes and italics

*SN: Akemi means "beautiful sunrise/dawn"

Author's note (A/N): I hope you enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a week before the school trip to Okinawa and all the first years were without a doubt ecstatic. All except one: Saiki Kusuo. Little did he know things on this trip would get very interesting...

"Class, settle down." Matsuzaki Sensei was stern but sounded tired from all his patrolling. "Everyone mind your manners... Takahashi, stop looking so stupid!"

"I can't help it sir, that's how I always look."

"Oh, right..." Matsuzaki made a mental note to apologize in private later on. "Anyways, I'd like to present a new transfer student who will be in your class." He cleared his throat indicating the student's cue to enter the classroom.

Whispers erupted throughout the class. "Was it a girl or a boy? Hopefully this person would be attractive... Is their appearance okay? Maybe I'll get a foreign girlfriend!" were their thoughts.

Sadly, Saiki heard them all. Getting more annoyed by the second, he angrily pleaded for them to shut up. He was perhaps the only student who wasn't excited to meet another nuisance. Another person for me to deal with and avoid. As his brow furrowed deeper, showing his blatantly annoyed expression, his prayers for them to shut up had been answered.

Not that he believed in this "God" thing. The diety never helped him out. Although God did love Teruhashi a lot, as we could see from the previous decision of the groups for the trip.

Let's hope this new student doesn't cause me too much trouble...

The door slid open, silencing the frenzy of thoughts, and all eyes were on the transfer student.

Her black hair went down to the small of her back, moving with every step she took in flawless harmony. Bangs framed her face in a way that wasn't obvious that she had bangs (basically meaning she didn't have the forehead-cut bangs, but side-cut bangs) and a simple black hairpin clipped a portion of hair to the side of her face. The uniform skirt wasn't rolled up, like all the other girls had done to make them stand out to boys, but was slightly above knee-length (as it should be). A beauty mark graced the small space below the corner of her left eye. And wow, those eyes. The class was bewitched by her soft lavender-colored eyes. There was nothing special about her, but somehow... they could all feel the air around them change. Eyes continued to stare as she finally turned to face the rest of the class, letting everyone see a perfect front-facing view of the new student.

"Good morning! My name is  Akiyama Akemi (last name / first name). I just moved from Hokkaido and—"

"Isn't Akemi a boy's name?" Takahashi blurted out, obviously not intending to say it aloud, but saying it so most of the class heard it clearly. Including the transfer student.

The class stared daggers at Takahashi.

"I knew he was stupid, but I didn't think he was this stupid..." Kuboyasu whispered to Kaido with a shake of his head.

It's Takahashi, don't expect much.

Matsuzaki was about to yell at Takahashi when the transfer student, Akemi, stepped in.

"It's alright, Matsuzaki Sensei. I actually get that a lot so I really don't mind," she chuckled sweetly, making the entire class widen their eyes at the realization of just how pretty she really is.

"No... She can't be prettier than I am, right? Yeah. I'm the most perfect girl in the world and no country hick is going to take that from me! I'll just befriend her to take more of the attention away from her and put it back on me. The world does need me to the the NUMBER ONE most perfect beautiful girl, not just on the outside but also on the inside. I can't ruin my image. The world depends on it!" Teruhashi was firing a storm of envious thoughts flying at a million miles per hour (A/N: sorry I ain't using metric system bc i don't wanna f it up) leaving Saiki to hear the teenage girl's annoying thoughts.

It would be better to stay keep your distance from her, new girl... She means business.

"My parents really liked the name, but when they found out that I was a girl— rather than being disappointed— they just gave me the name anyways. They said I would just be stronger than any man since I have a male name."

The class ooh-d and aah-d at her polite response and genuine sweetness. Anyone else would have snapped at the annoying strange-looking boy (A/N: Takahashi I can't even your lips bro what's going on), but this girl was different.

And not just for her kind attitude, but because of her genuine thoughts. Only things Saiki would hear.

(her thoughts:) "They look like a nice class. Hopefully none of them are put off by the way I just rambled about myself... That was sort of embarrassing."

After a short bow to the class, she finished off on a high note, "It was nice to meet you. Let's have a great year!"

"Um.. We're really short on seats so why don't you sit next to Nendo?" Matsuzaki Sensei thought to himself, "poor thing is gonna be intimidated by the big oaf..."

That's a bit much, but I can't blame him. His face is threatening and terrifying to anyone— especially to someone who isn't used to it.

Nendo waved with a toothy smile. "Hey buddy! I have a new seat partner! Saiki, hey!"

Saiki's shoulders visibly shrunk as his scowl... Somehow scowled.

"Well this seems tense," Akemi said the phrase simply-- after looking at Saiki's distressed face-- then nodded to the teacher, walking forward to her new seat.

"Hi Nendo, it's nice to meet you," she smiled. "He looks like the funny type," she thought to herself. "Or he's just... not that bright. Whichever one it is, he still seems nice. Kind of reminds me of a character in my favorite manga series." Her thoughts trailed off and snapped back to reality once Matsuzaki cleared his throat.

Wow, she's genuinely not that freaked out by Nendo. That's a first. Even I'm scared of Nendo— for his unpredictability and stupidity, though, not for his delinquent appearance (like everyone else).

"Let's get down to business (A/N: TO DEFEAT THE HUNS). As you all know, the class trip is in a week and we're going to go over some of the details again just so we all know what's happening. Hairo, go over the agenda please."

After the agenda and question/answer session played out, Matsuzaki had an unfortunate announcement for the new girl. "Sorry, Akemi. Since you're new and the trip has already been paid for, you can't go with us."

I thought so. *sigh* I was really looking forward to going on my old school's class trip, but I guess I can't do either because of that person... Akemi's thoughts were louder than anyone else's thoughts— mainly because they were all spacing out or daydreaming— and you could practically see her eyes droop. Saiki became slightly interested with her thoughts.

Why did she transfer so late in the year? And who is she even talking about?