Chapter 1: Partners

Your POV:
I walked inside the Detroit City Police Department with a cup of coffee in my hand. I barely got enough sleep last night because of all the documents I had to submit. "Good morning, detective.," the android receptionist greeted as I walked through the glass door to the office. I simply nodded as a reply. "Good morning (Y/N). No sleep last night?," Gavin asked me. "Good morning Gavin. Yup, long night," I answered. He offered me donut, which I declined. "Come on (Y/N). Who could resist chocolate donuts?," he said as he took a bite from the sweet treat. "Well, I can.," I joked.

As I was walking to my desk, I noticed an android awkwardly sitting in the chair next to it. "Um hello. Can I help you?," I asked it. "Detective (L/N). My name is Connor. I am the android sent my CyberLife. I've been informed that you're assigned the deviant cases. I'm here to assist you in your investigations.," he introduced. "Oh ok. I hope we get along well and solve our cases together.," I smiled. "Likewise. Is there a vacant desk available for me to work on?," he asked. "I'm afraid not. Sorry, but we can share my desk if you don't mind.," I answered. "That would be sufficient.," he agreed. I moved my chair over so Connor could move his chair next to mine. I  took a sip of coffee while I reviewed the reported deviant cases.

After a while, I felt myself slowly fall into slumber. I would have fallen asleep if it weren't for a specific android. "Detective (L/N).," Connor called out and tapped my shoulder. I jolted awake. "You were falling asleep. Did you get enough sleep last night?," he asked. I rubbed my eyes, "No, I didn't. I was busy with some documents." "I see. I could try to help you stay awake.," he suggested. "Go for it.," I said while typing. "I think we should get to know each other since we'll be partners.," he suggested. I nodded and smiled to show my agreement. "I see that you notice coffee. Is there a reason why?," he asked me. "Anything that keeps me up in the morning makes me happy.," I answered, "Do you have any tricks you could show me?" He tilted his head to the side in confusion, "Tricks?" "Like, I can roll my tongue or something.," I tried to explain. 

"Oh I get it. I can these maneuvers with a coin.," he stood up and took out a quarter from his pocket.  I watched him to the toss coin in the air and back to his hand. Then, he flicked the coin from his right to his left hand and vice versa. I stared in awe. He moved the coin from finger to finger using his knuckles. Once he finished showing me his coin trick, he sat down next  to me. "Did you enjoy that, Detective (L/N)?," Connor asked. "Of course! Can you teach me how to do that some time?," I asked. He nodded, "Sure. I promise." I smiled, "Good. I'll remind you one day."

"Detective (L/N), Detective Reed. Come inside the conference room.," Captain Fowler called out. I looked at Connor and saw Gavin looking at me too. "I think you should go detective.," Connor said. I nodded, "I'll be right back." I stood up and walked inside the room, "Yes captain?" I nodded at Gavin, who nodded back. "We found a lead to case 4 involving one MP500. I want both of you to work on this case together. We believe this android is armed with a stolen gun from the victim.," the captain explained. In the corner of my eye, I can saw Gavin staring at me during the whole explanation. "Sure thing captain.," Gavin said. "When will we leave, captain?." I asked. He looked at his watch and answered, "Right about now." Gavin and I exited the room. 

I walked towards my desk to grab my keys, gun, and coffee, "Come on, Connor. We're going with Detective Reed to investigate on the MP500 case." Connor stood up and we walked to the exit of the police department. 

Gavin was by the doors. He looked like he was waiting for someone, but I wasn't sure who. "(Y/N)!," he called out. I turned my head to his direction, "Yes?" "I was wondering if you needed a ride.," he offered. He peeked behind me to see Connor. "Oh you have an android now?," he said with a hint of annoyance. "Yup, Connor meet Detective Reed. Gavin meet Connor.," I introduced.  Connor stuck his hand out to shake his hand, "Good morning Detective Reed. My name is Connor. I am a RK800 android." "Yeah whatever.," he muttered with his arms still crossed. Connor retracted his hand back to his side. I glanced at Connor then at Gavin, "Anyway,  we'll be fine. I brought my car today. Thanks for the offer." Gavin looked at my hand to see that I was holding my car keys, "Oh I see. I should get going. See you there." He left the building and entered his car.

"Let's go Connor," I said as we exited the building as well. We entered into my car in silence. "Detective (L/N)?," he called out. I started my car, "Hm?" "I was wondering. Does Detective Reed have a dislike for androids?," he asked. I thought about it for a while before answering him, "Hm. I think so. I'm not sure why, but I feel like he doesn't like you in particular. You didn't do anything to him, right?" "Not to my knowledge.," he responded. "We'll find out sooner or later.," I said. I drove out of the parking lot to the road to reach our destination.