Chapter 1

Copyright © 2018 by Faith Hunte

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without written permission from the author.

This book is on Inkitt, Wattpad and my Patreon only. If you are reading it anywhere else, it has been plagiarized.

Stealing is a CRIME. If this book is discovered elsewhere, legal action will be taken.

Hello!!

So just a few things I'd like for all the readers to know; Rebecca and Xerxes obviously has A LOT of things to work on before their relationship improves.
Rebecca still does not trust Xerxes and there may be at times tension between them.

Also, this story takes place three months after the last scene you saw in the first book.

*****************

"Eat, eat." The elderly woman, Mary, placed a bowl of soup on the table, and pushed it gently towards me. I lifted my head, smiling in appreciation at her.

Taking the spoon in one hand, I dipped it into the steaming liquid, feeling the eyes of the people sitting around me, watching my every move.

I was pleasantly surprised by the taste of the chicken soup; the flavor was amazing and heavy.

"It's great." I told her, watching as a smile lit up her face. She wrung her hands together, a timid sort of expression coming over her.

"I was going to be a chef," She told me softly. "I had built a restaurant and everything...but then the werewolves came..." Her voice trailed off and my smile dropped. I dipped my head in understanding, and glanced back at the soup.

My fingers around the spoon tightened.

"Is that something you still desire to do?" I asked. The woman hesitated, her eyes flickering to her teenaged children who sat in the room, listening earnestly to what was being spoken.

Finally, she nodded. "Yes. When I gather enough funds I intend to rebuild the restaurant, with the help of my sons and daughter."

I made a noise in my throat, letting her know that I heard her as I continued to eat her chicken soup.

I could hear the faint voices of Harold and Penelope outside; they were talking with a few men and women from the neighboring houses. The houses which they lived in, had been built almost two month ago, under the watch of Xerxes.

When the houses had been completed and furnished, I had assisted some of the townsfolk in moving in, making sure that they were comfortable, which most were.

And now, Penelope, Harold and I were revisiting the homes, wanting to see how they were getting along. Some were very welcoming to us being here, and were grateful, like Mary.

Upon seeing me, she had urged me into her home, prepared some of her soup for me to eat. But not all were as kind as her.

I paused from eating to stare through a window, my eyes finding one of the houses I had attempted to go to, my body tensing at the memory of what had happened as I'd tried.

A man who lived there had thrown boiling hot water towards me and I had barely managed to step away before it could touch my body. He had then proceeded to spit curses, calling me a 'disgusting sell-out' because I was Xerxes' mate.