Chapter 2

The woman above is somewhat what I imagine Rebecca to look like.

************************

"You have to understand miss. We need to see more progress before we truly trust him." A man stood, arms tightly folded and eyes narrowed as he spoke.

Not breaking eye contact, I relaxed back into my chair, nodding slowly, understanding him.

"Every day, progress is made, improvements are being established." I told him, gently. The man frowned, evidently unsatisfied with what I said.

"Many are still without proper homes." He snapped.

"The ones without homes are currently living free of cost in hotels. Once more houses have been built they will immediately be allowed to move into them."

The man blinked and I saw a flash of surprise move across his eyes even as his jaw clenched. Slowly, wordlessly, the man returned to his seat.

My eyes skirted the many persons in the room, the faces of the young and old. Many expressions rested on their features, some to do with frustration, others boredom or concentration.

I leaned forward, resting my arms against the table. "I understand the frustration you all feel. Xerxes' promises however, shall be followed through. Your appropriate suggestions are in the works of being put in place."

A lady stood abruptly, startling Harold and I. "And what about pay? We're still given the lousy wages since these wolves took over."

Foreheads creased in confusing in the room, and I too, confused, shook my head. "The wages have increased."

"She is right." A man amongst the crowd stared up from where he sat at the woman. "I and many people are being paid almost three times the amount we previously worked for."

The lady folded her arms, head high, eyes darkening with her anger. "Not where I'm working at. The conditions are shitty too."

Harold and I exchanged a long look and I eventually leaned to grab a pen and paper. "Where do you work?"

"At Benson's Shoe Store."

I wrote down the name . "And who is the employer?"

"Sinclair."

My head jerked upwards, meeting her eyes, a feeling of exasperation seeping into me. The Benson's Shoe Store was owned by Xerxes, and he had allowed Sinclair to be the employer.

Sinclair had once been a friend of Xerxes' and is a very stubborn werewolf.

He was the first of many of his kind to voice his disapproval of having the humans being treated fairly. Him and I had many nasty arguments in the past.

Eventually, after Xerxes threatened to fire him because he refused to abide to his rules, Sinclair promised to do as he was told. Well, most of what he was told it seemed.

"Well then," I began slowly, placing the pen down on the table, glancing at Harold who stayed silent beside me. "I shall visit Sinclair this evening and try to have this issue solved. Are there any other questions you all have?"

After waiting for almost an entire, I received no response. And so I stood, Harold following my lead. Waiters and waitresses entered, trays of pastries and drinks in their hands. These things would be shared to those who were present.

Slipping on an oversize coat, I left the room, as the meeting was now finished.

Harold leaned down slightly as I walked, whispering into my ear, "The paparazzi is outside, by the doors of the building. Brad shall direct you to the car and I will meet you later today."