Chapter 20

The Pazzi had aristocratic ancestors and only recently turned into bankers, without hiding their desire to replace the Medici as the richest and most powerful family in Florence.
After some disagreements, Lorenzo decided to try to befriend them again, for Florence's sake.
Giuliano was used as ambassador in the nearest states, but he wasn't really helpful.
When he recovered from the sorrow for Simonetta's death, he fell for another girl, the daughter of his family's armourer. So he turned to blind to understand what was really going on and the menace that was above his family.
"They don't realize that the Pazzi are fooling them" Giacomo complained after trying to persuade Lorenzo to give him more missions and listen to his suggestions, but Lorenzo was too proud to do that.
"What can the Pazzi do? Attack him when he goes to Mass?".
"Remember the detail I found" Giacomo leaned closer to Ginevra to whisper into her ear "They want to destroy the two brothers together. So that's good that Giuliano is too busy with his new love affair to roam around his brother".
"But we should suggest Lorenzo to send his brother far away too. Maybe to another neutral city, not where Clarice and the children are".
"I already suggested it to Lorenzo but he's too stubborn to listen to me. He doesn't want to stay alone here. He thinks that he can handle and fix everything. He claims he's more powerful that he actually is".
"So he's underestimating it all" Ginevra swallowed hard "I'll try to persuade him to be more careful".
Giacomo nodded gloomily "If you won't succeed, nobody else can".

Lorenzo was in his room, frantically writing and raised his head only when Ginevra closed the door behind her.
"Ginevra" he nodded towards the chair in front of him "Suit yourself".
And he was again concentrated on his papers.
She missed the old times when he was used to linger his look on her, his eyes betraying his impossible desires. But she knew she was growing older. She was in her thirties and beauty wasn't a gift that could last forever.
"I disapprove your new look. Have I already said that?" He glanced at her while she protectively touched her shorter hair.
One day she simply craved for something new and cut half of her long hair.
"Yeah you have. And it changes nothing. It's my hair".
"Yeah but I see it more than you do, and I loved your hair. It's a crime you cut them".
She shrugged "How are the affairs going?".
"Good. Better than you can imagine. We have more to celebrate than just Easter. And by the way Carlo is coming to visit us for Easter so warn your friend...".
"Giacomo" she spelled loudly "Why don't you tell him yourself?".
"He's too busy telling me what to do".
"He only wants to help you. He knows that you're in trouble...".
"But I fixed it. I've sorted it all as I promised. I made good deals with the Pazzi. We'll work together".
"What deals?".
"You'll find it out tomorrow. I've invited them for supper here".
"You did what?" She exclaimed.
"You heard me, Ginevra" he rolled his eyes "Don't look like you're my mother".
"You can't invite them here!".
"And who are you to tell me what to do?" He jumped on his feet, slamming his hands on the table "I've been to their palace and nothing happened. What are you worried about? That they will stab me in my own house? They had many occasions for doing that, occasions better than hitting me in my palace where I am surrounded by my guards!".
She stared at him in disbelief, until he caught his breath and sat down again, lowering his head on his papers.
"I didn't mean to be so harsh" he said after a while "But I wanted to be honest".
"There was a time when you would listen to my suggestions. I've always stayed here, for you, wanting nothing more than the best for you".
"I've grown up, Ginevra. I learned to be the leader, to take the best decisions for everyone. If you disagree, maybe this time I'll be the one to tell you to leave".
That made her speechless. She hated feeling rejected, but being rejected by Lorenzo was the worst feeling.
She left in a hurry without saying anything, tears blurring her vision.
Soon she felt Giacomo's hands stopping her and leading her to a private corner, and he waited for her to be ready to share what happened.
"I tried to dissuade him but he's stubborn" she complained in the end.
"He's blinded, by Pazzi's lies" he shook his head.
"What can we do? Attack the Pazzi carriage before they arrive to the palace?".
"No, that's too drastic. They want to kill both the brothers at the same time. If we can't dissuade Lorenzo...".
"Then I must dissuade Giuliano" she concluded inhaling deeply "I think I can do it, it should be easier. His leg is still hurting or stuff like that".
"The doctor said he needed to rest for days".
"You know nothing can stop him. He's stubborn as a mule. Okay, I'll go find him".
"He went out patrolling hours ago".
She scoffed "I know where to find him".