Chapter One

When he said it's only a few miles to the west, she didn't expect it to be in the middle of nowhere. The road seemed endless with no other cars. Rocky mountains surrounded her. Alexi let out another yawn as the fatigue started to catch up. She should have made a stop at the small motel she passed. Her body ached her muscles stiff and cold. The heater in the car was on full blast, but she barely felt it. She had no choice but to pack up her stuff in her old rusty Volvo. It's a nice car, never once let her down when she needed it.

After her eighteenth birthday, her parents had brought her the car. Of course it was a mess then. She worked with her dad to fix it and look how good the car turned out. Most of the parts were hard to find, but they had managed. It's all I have left of him, she thought feeling tears burning behind her lids.

Everything else was taken away. The house, the other cars, their belongings. They swooped in rocking her world upside down. She barely had time to pack her own stuff before the new owners moved in. Apparently, as stated in their wills, the house had to be sold to pay off debt. All the other valuable things had also been taken and sold. Alexi saved a few things, some photos and vinyls from her mother. Small things that meant something to her.

She slowed the car as a sharp turn appeared ahead. It made a shiver of fear run down her spine when she saw how far down it was. Dirt, trees and boulders. Instant death if someone were to drive down it. Shaking the scary thought from her mind, she paid more attention to the road. According to the map the town should be up ahead. Only a few more miles and she can take a nap. Her head felt stuffy and stomach empty. The last time she ate was about two hours ago at the last stop. She should have gotten something to eat on the road, but it barely registered. It was colder up here in the mountains.

Suddenly the yellow car gave a jerk, then another until it slowed to a complete stop. Smoke rose from the front making Alexi's heart sink.

"No, no, no!" She cried, slamming a hand down on the steering wheel.

Leaning her head on her arm, she sucked in a deep breath.

"Now is not the time to panic Alexi," she muttered to herself.

Another second passed before she straightened. Her hand gripped the key turning it. Nothing. Not even a sound to give her some hope. Muttering curses under her breath she got out storming to the front of the car. Alexi stared at it for a few seconds before stepping forward. As soon as she lifted the bonnet more smoke assaulted her. It made her cough for at least five minutes before it started to clear. Everything looked fine, like it did yesterday morning when she left.

A cool breeze ruffled the reddish brown strands hanging down her back. The sky was darkening making the almost full moon a little more visible. How long until sundown? Alexi shivered pulling the worn jacket closer around her small frame. Tonight was going to be a cold night, she could feel it. She walked back to the driver side leaning inside the car to pick up the map.

Maybe I should take the risk and walk? Alexi glance at the road then back at her car. The entire back seat and the boot was filled with boxes. She packed the most valuable and some clothes. Her other things were left on storage to collect later on. It's too big a risk to leave her car here. And she had no clue how far ahead the town was. It could be hours away and by then it would already be dark. No, she can't take that risk. The best option would be to wait for someone that would be able to help her.

Letting out another sigh she got into the car slamming the door shut. Her head dropped back against the seat, shoulders slumping. She could just imagine it, large warm bed with a nice big plate of a home cooked meal. Maybe even a cup of steaming hot chocolate.

Alexi had no idea that night would creep up on her so fast. The sky and her surroundings was completely dark, she could barely see in front of her. She had been stuck at the side of the road for three hours. It doesn't seem like anybody will be passing her anytime soon. Pulling her phone from her pocket, she glanced down at it. It's almost six o'clock.

Oncoming light in her mirror caught her attention. Without thinking she jumped out of the car waving her arms. The truck slowed pulling up behind her car. A shiver of fear raced down her spine when the two front doors opened and large men climbed out. They were buff, muscled and very large.

"Is there a problem?" the one to the left questioned taking a step closer.

Alexi moved back gripping the door of the car. "I.... The car won't start."

The other man moved closer. She could feel his eyes trailing over her body. Her eyes darted around nervously as the men advanced on her. There was something about them that made her heartbeat increase. Their features were hidden by the spotlights of the truck behind them.

"Are you heading to town?"

She swallowed giving them a small nod. Her fingers tightened around her phone. What do I do? Alexi bumped into her car as one man stepped in front of her. He sniffed taking another step closer.

"You smell delicious," he muttered, caging her in with his arms, "I wonder if you taste just as delicious as you smell?"

"John."

A loud growl filled the air, it sounded like a wolf. It didn't come from around them, no, it came from right in front of her. Wide fearful eyes snapped up. The man wasn't human, not anymore. His face looked like that of a wolf. Longer with glowing golden eyes and sharp canine teeth.

Alexi screamed, the sound echoing around the rocky mountains. Teeth dug into her shoulder while clawed hands ripped her clothes. Someone else touched her, tugging her towards the ground. She's not going to die like this! With shaky hands she felt around, her hand closed around a medium sized rock. She hit the man on the head as hard as she could before pushing him off with her hands.

She only managed to get onto her knees before she was tackled to the ground again. A scream escaped her lips as she fell back her head hitting something hard. The world faded, but before she completely faded into darkness, two loud howls filled the night air.

* * * *

The tall man paced up and down the narrow hall. Hospital chemicals filled his nostrils making him wince every time he sucked in a breath. The chemicals were messing with his smell, he can't smell the scent of the human female anymore. If they had arrived a second later it would have just been another body.

"Alpha?" His head snapped up, green eyes narrowing on the omega standing in front of him.

"What?"

"T-the men have been caught. They told me to give you the news." She stuttered.

Alpha gave a stiff nod instantly dismissing the girl. Once she disappeared out of sight he continued to pace. Adrenaline still ran through his body, the urge to kill strong. It's something he found hard to push down. For some reason he wanted to protect the human. She was injured on his land, she's his responsibility now. How is he going to explain exactly what happened?

Every resident in this town knew about them. They protected their species and in return the pack protected the humans.

Slade watched his brother from down the hall. He could feel the rage and fear through their twin bond. He felt the same. This attack was not the first and he had a feeling that it won't be the last. The doctor drew his attention once again. He spoke softly giving him all the details on the human female. Her vitals were good, slight concussion with some bruises. The wounds on her shoulder will heal as long as it's kept clean, but it will scar. She's still unconscious due to the drugs they gave her but the twins will be alerted the moment she wakes. Giving the old doctor a nod of thanks, he made his way over to his brother.

He stopped pacing turning to his brother in question.

"She's going to be fine," he paused, glancing around. "We need to discuss this with the members and then the town. Those men weren't from around here."

"It's almost mating season. We can't set a lot of boundaries right now."

Slade let out a loud breath. Mating season just complicated things a lot more. Werewolves had a high sex drive and it gets a whole lot worse this time of year. "We'll figure something out brother."