Chapter Two

·Collège Françoise Dupont·

Talk about Dads.

Ever since the music festival, Marinette hadn't been able to get Luka off her mind. She tried not to think about him but in doing so, he came to her mind more. She was trying to convince herself that Luka was just a crush and that Adrien was still the one for her. However, her heart knew what she didn't want to accept; both boys were equally right for her. As she made her way out of the school, she heard someone call out from behind.

"Marinette!"

She didn't even need to turn around to know who had called her, Adrien. She spun around to answer him. "H-hey Adrien," she said, only stuttering a little.

Adrien gave her a great big grin, "Hey! The band is meeting up at Juleka's place later, and I was wondering if you wanted to come with?"

"Sure!" Marinette replied a little too enthusiastically.

Adrien chuckled. "Great, Alya and Nino are coming too. I'm picking them up on the way. Would you like to ride with us or just meet us there?"

Marinette was internally screaming. Not only had Adrien personally asked her to come watch the practice, but he was also offering to pick her up. Sure, Alya and Nino would be there, but that didn't matter to her.

"A ride would be great."

"Awesome, I will stop by the bakery in say, an hour and a half?" Adrien inquired.

Marinette grinned, "I'll be ready."

"See you later then," Adrien replied before he ran off and climbed into his car before Gorilla got too angry at him for making him wait.

"See you," Marinette called after him since he had already taken off.

Marinette watched as the familiar silver car drove off with Adrien inside.

Did he really just ask me to come to his band practice?!

Alya passed by her, and Marinette grabbed her arm, "Alya!"

"What's up, girl?" Alya inquired as she was yanked backward.

Marinette was still slightly in shock. "Adrien just asked me to come to his band practice!"

"Girl, you're not the only one you know. He invited Nino and me too," Alya replied trying to bring Marinette back down to earth.

Marinette barely heard her, "Yeah, but he asked me specifically. Do you think it means something?" Marinette's mind was running wild with outrageous ideas again. The look on her face made it clear that she was in her own little fantasyland.

Alya shook her head. "Marinette... Marinette!"

"Huh?"

"You were doing it again," Alya replied.

Marinette blushed, "Oops. I can't help it. He's just so perfect."

"Marinette, you have got to start living in reality. The one where you still need to talk to Adrien if you want to actually see something happen between the two of you." Alya explained in vain once again.

"I just don't know how."

"Well, you better figure it out and fast. If you don't step up your game, sooner or later someone else will ask him out and eventually, he will say yes." Alya replied seriously as she turned to leave.

Marinette frowned and her heart sped up at the thought. It infuriated her to think of Adrien with someone else. "I know," Marinette groaned.

·Tom & Sabine Boulangerie Patisserie·

When there was a knock at the door Marinette rushed to it. "Hey!"

"Hey, ready to go?" Adrien inquired.

Marinette nodded, holding up a finger letting him know she needed one more second. She quickly ran into the kitchen and grabbed her bag.

"Have a good time, sweetie," Tom said as his daughter rushed past.

Marinette threw him a smile over her shoulder as she hurried back to the door, placing her bag on her shoulder. "I will see you later, papa," she replied.

She hadn't realized how far she had gone when she turned back around and crashed right into Adrien in the doorway. "Sorry, sorry!" Marinette mumbled as Adrien held tightly to her arm, making sure she didn't rebound and fall on her butt.

"Don't worry, I'm used to it. Honestly, if you didn't find a way to trip or run into me, I would have to wonder what happened to the real Marinette," Adrien teased with a giant grin.

Marinette couldn't help the blush that crept onto her cheeks. Her mind was quickly lost in thought as she gazed up into his eyes.

He doesn't mind that I'm clumsy?

It wasn't until he let go of her arm that she regained her mind.

"Shall we?" he asked.

She nodded dramatically as she stepped out the door and pulled it shut behind her. There was a short awkward silence between them as they made their way down the stairs.

"Your dad seems pretty amazing," Adrien remarked as they stepped into the bakery.

She nodded. "Papa is the best. I wouldn't give him up for any other dad in the whole world."

"I wish I could say the same, but my father hardly even talks to me," Adrien said as if it was common knowledge.

Marinette stopped in the middle of the bakery.

He turned around to look at her. "Is something wrong?"

"Your dad doesn't even talk to you?" She repeated his words as a question.

Adrien's gaze dropped to the floor. "He's busy working a lot."

Marinette moved closer to him and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. She couldn't imagine what that must be like. She told her father everything - almost everything. "That's no excuse! He should at least find time to spend with his son."

"It's no big deal. That's what I have friends like you for, right?" he asked as he looked up at her with a grin.

Marinette blushed a few shades darker than before, even if she wasn't excited about the use of the word friend. Adrien patted her hand, letting her knew he would be fine before he nodded towards the door. Marinette smiled, and they quickly headed out to his car.

"What took you guys so long? We were wondering if you two started making out in the stairwell," Alya teased once they climbed into the car, causing Marinette to blush. Lucky for Marinette, she was seated up front.

"No. She decided to run head first into me and needed a minute to recover," he replied as if he'd been thinking about how to cover for their long wait all along.