Chapter LXXIII

CHAPTER LXXIII:

Hermione's POV:

Bribing Evander Rosier, one of the sixth year Slytherins who shared the same Potions class as the Weasleys and, incidentally, held a large grudge against the two Gryffindors, to create an 'accident' had been far easier then she'd anticipated. Hermione had made sure to specify that only one twin be caught by the exploding potion and even though he'd been confused, Rosier had agreed.

Unlike the lower year levels, sixth and seventh years doing Potions had to have achieved an Exceeds Expectations or Outstanding for their Potions OWL to be eligible for the class. These students were held to a much higher standard and the potions they brewed were far more volatile and dangerous— and when things went badly with potions, they went very badly.

Rosier had performed his role admirably— gossip abounded in the castle as it became known that a student had been rushed to the Hospital Wing following an explosion in class. When a Ravenclaw second year spotted several Healers from St Mungo's flooing into the Hospital Wing, the gossip increased threefold.

Dumbledore made the announcement before dinner, standing up at the head table with a heavy expression on his face and Hermione could feel the vicious satisfaction unfurling in her chest as the headmaster spoke.

"Today a terrible accident occurred," he said, with what appeared to be real sadness. It probably was— it had been one of his precious Gryffindors who'd been injured, after all. "When each school year begins, your professors warn you of the dangers that accompany tomfoolery during classes. Magic is a wondrous gift to us all, but it is also dangerous— and the consequences when magic goes wrong has the potential to be catastrophic, fatal even.

"Earlier today during a Potions class, an argument between two students caused several ingredients to be knocked into an incomplete potion, which resulted in the potion exploding. Fred Weasley was closest to the explosion and was subsequently hurt very badly. While I know you will all be relieved to hear he survived, I'm afraid that the injuries he gained have left permanent marks, a severe scarring that will never fade.

"And so, I would like to make it very clear now that any student from any year level who makes a derogatory comment towards Mister Weasley about the scarring will face very serious consequences. Bullying is notaccepted at Hogwarts."

As Dumbledore sat back down, Hermione turned to give Tracey and Daphne an incredulous look. "Is he fucking joking?" She asked. "'Bullying is not accepted at Hogwarts'— what a load of utter bollocks!"

"Double standards as usual," Tracey said bitterly and Daphne looked quietly furious next to her.

Dinner passed with a low hum of chatter— Hermione caught Rosier's eye as they all stood at the end and the sixth year smirked at her, winking. Harry caught the look and as the students all started making their way back to their common rooms, he grinned at her and asked, "so that was you, then?"

Harry, she thought to herself as she grinned back at him, was certainly both vicious and vindictive when it was someone he loved who'd been hurt— she'd never seen him so gleeful about someone else's misfortune before.

"What do you think?" She asked him and he laughed.

"I think you look like the cat that got the canary— so yes, it was definitely you."

"I told them I was going to ruin them," Hermione shrugged playfully, though her smile was sharp and cruel. "It's not my fault they didn't believe me— they really should have listened when McGonagall told them to stop fucking with me."