Chapter 5

Early on the morning of the auction they assembled in front of what would shortly not be their house any longer. The last of their meager belonging had already been stowed; everything but the most personal and necessary of items had been sold for the pittance they would bring. They had enough to buy food and supplies for their journey, a boxy wagon, and pair of stocky brown farm horses to draw it. They were a far cry from the elegant, slender-legged horses that had conveyed their coach to balls and parties just last month, but they were strong and good-natured and Lydia secretly thought she might soon grow to be fond of them.

William yawned. “Why are we leaving so early, again?”

Henry was busy checking the traces and tightening straps on the horses. “The caravan won't wait for us, and they won't give us our money back if we're late. Unless we want to travel to Dunhollow alone, we need to be there when they set out.”

Traveling with a caravan took them a little away from the most direct route, but it dramatically reduced their chances of being attacked by highwaymen. They had all decided the additional protection was worth the cost.

“What about Clara?” Anna asked.

“She'll be here.”

“And what if she isn't?”

“She will be.”

At the sound of the doors opening they turned. William held them open for John, who carried their father, wrapped heavily against the morning chill, and settled him in the thick feather bed in the back of their rude wagon. That had been another extravagance, but his health was so fragile that none of them wanted to wager on him reaching their destination without it.

“Thank you, John,” said William, reaching out to give the man a hearty handshake, “for all of your help.”

“Ah, it's nothing,” he said, bobbing his head. “I just wish we could come with you. It's too far, though – just can't manage it.”

“We couldn't afford to pay you if you did!” William laughed.

“Even so. You're good people, and I hate to see you go. That reminds me,” he said, as Jenny came down the stairs bearing a large hamper, “we have a little something for your journey.”

Jenny handed the hamper to Lydia with a smile.

“What's this?” she asked.

“Just some food and necessaries, Miss,” said Jenny. “Such as we thought might come in handy.”

Tears pricked Lydia's eyes, touched at this unexpected kindness in the midst of scorn, and they all thanked John and Jenny deeply. With a smile and a wave, the pair went back inside to make sure everything was in readiness for the auction.

The sound of rapid hoofbeats drew their eyes to the road, where an expensive carriage was making its way quickly to their house.

“Ah, right on time,” Henry said. They looked at him questioningly, but all he gave them was a thin smile as they waited for it to pull to a stop.

The footman swung down and opened the door, holding his hand out expectantly for the passenger. When none appeared, he reached in and politely but firmly drew Clara down from the carriage. She was sobbing, a fact that both the coachman and footman ignored as they lifted her trunk out and set it beside her. Closing the door, they climbed back up into their respective positions and took off without speaking a word.

“How could you?” Clara cried in between sobs. “Why, Henry? What did you tell him?”

“I told him the truth, which was more than you did. What were you going to do when he found out who you really were, with us already gone?”