Chapter One

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘯.

𝘐𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘥 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘯 𝘴𝘰 𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴 𝘢𝘨𝘰, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘱𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘵 𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘈𝘵𝘰𝘮𝘪𝘤 𝘞𝘢𝘳.

𝘈𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘯 𝘰𝘧 𝘯𝘶𝘤𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘳 𝘸𝘦𝘢𝘱𝘰𝘯𝘴, 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘸𝘢𝘺 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘺 𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳; 𝘩𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘥𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘵𝘰𝘮𝘪𝘤 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘭𝘦𝘴. 𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘪𝘮𝘢𝘭𝘴 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘦𝘥, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘩𝘶𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘴 𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘥, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘧𝘦𝘸 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘣𝘶𝘪𝘭𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘪𝘳 𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘴𝘩𝘦𝘭𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴.

𝘚𝘤𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘴 𝘴𝘢𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘩 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘵𝘦𝘯 𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘰 𝘣𝘦𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘩𝘶𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘴 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘺 𝘪𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘺.

 Joey scrunched up his nose. He hated reading, but while he waited for his friends, he had nothing to do. He couldn't use his just-finished time machine until they all arrived.

Besides, that's what his time machine is for; fixing the world. He'd enter the time and it would take them there.

It was a small cylinder, but when he twisted it, he hoped, it would take him to his desired time, and he could stop humans from activating their weapons.

Joey tossed the machine from one hand to the other, bored. They were all running late. 

Holly burst in. "Sorry! I was packing food and water!" She exclaimed.

Joey shrugged. "It's fine." He couldn't think of anything else to say.

Holly's sleek black hair was in her usual tight bun. The Asian girl was the youngest in their "club." She was only ten years old. Her eyes were a very light brown.

Their normal meeting place was an abandoned, broken-down warehouse next to a large lake. A huge tree hovered over it.

Holly hugged him. "What if they try to kill us?" She whispered, "Or..."

"Don't worry Holly, we'll be fine." Joey said, "I'll protect you, I promise."

Roxy walked in and Andy staggered in after her. Roxy rolled her eyes then smiled.

"We ready? I've got some food and water, but that's about it. Oh! I brought chess." Roxy pulled back her red hair in a ponytail. Joey listened to her heavy Canadian accent. 

"I've got six bottles! Two champagne, three wine, and two beer!" Andy slurred.

Joey sighed. It was rare when his friend wasn't drunk. There wasn't much they could do. They'd already tried getting him to stop.

"I have to leave Choco behind," Joey said sadly. Choco was his little brown Shih Tzu. It would be too dangerous for him to come, so he had hired a dogsitter the day before.

Roxy patted him on the shoulder. "Are we ready?" She asked.

"Let's stay for a little bit longer, watch the sunset one last time. This warehouse may not be here when we get back."