Chapter 6: The damsel in distress

At this time, Bella rose only to get a better view.

"And I'll tell you something else; I bet if you go on over there right now and start batting them with those pretty green eyes of yours, you'd have him in the palm of your hand before dessert and at the very least." Angell smiles at Bella.

"He's kinda cute," she mused, teasing her cheek now with the tip of the wrap.

She licked her lips; that little jackass wouldn't know what to do with a woman like Bella Cather. Angell thought, but at least she might keep him busy a minute or two.

He wouldn't mind taking a minute with Miss McCarthy getting the ridiculous idea out of his head that she was any different than the rest of her class. If he were wrong, perhaps she'd invite him to set a spell on her. Some time spent with a beautiful woman wouldn't do his self-esteem any harm.

"Go on," he encouraged her. "If he gives you a hard time, come on back here, and I'll buy you a drink; how's that?"

Bella turned back with a sly smile. "What's in it for you?" She asked.

"Well," he hedged, "I wouldn't mind getting a word in edgewise with the lady given a chance."

Bella laughed and pinched his cheek. "My, but you do like to set your sight high you don't quite seem her type, Angell,"

He snorted a laugh. "That was the understatement of the century,"

She looked at him with something like compassion. "All right. But I'm only doing it for you." She said, with a sleek smile on her beautiful warm face.

"Flash her that pretty grin slick, and you'll have a chance with her" She stood and began a slow movement—Bella Cather, towards their table.

Angell watched her; the closer Bella Cather got, the more challenging time the not-so-little Mister Flynn had, ignoring her. It was apparent; he knew she was coming. She was right in his line of vision, and it was just as evident that her perusal flustered him because his color was as high as the stars and stripes and his eyes looked everywhere but her direction.

When she was close enough, Bella leaned her provocative hip on the table, her back to Miss McCarthy, and bent towards Mister Flynn.

Angell couldn't hear what she said, but he knew it must be good shots from the way; Mister Flynn's complexion took on an almost apoplectic hue, and Miss McCarthy said something, no doubt some objection so polite Bella couldn't recognize it. Bella threw a rejoined shoulder as lightly as the end of her wrap.

Mister Flynn laughed nervously and slid his chair back a few inches as Bella moved closer. Angell saw her finger the material of his lapel; then, just when he thought she might be making some headway, Miss McCarthy stood up with fire bright eyes.

He heard her this time, for her voice was raised. "I would appreciate it if you would leave us to our meal in peace, Miss whosoever you are."

Bella grazed back over her shoulders like a feline with a treat she had no intention of surrendering. "Don't get your bloomers all in a knot, my lady," she said. "We are just having a conversation here." She faked a smile at Miss McCarthy.

Mister Flynn was speechless as he looked from one woman to the other, giving Bella a weak smile and attempting to roll his eyes at Miss McCarthy.

Bella took advantage of the situation and slid onto Mister Flynn's knee. "Why don't you go find yourself something to do for a few minutes" She suggested to Miss McCarthy.

"We could use a minute or two to get acquainted," Bella added with a slight smile to Miss McCarthy.

In the same way that Mister Flynn's hand encircled around her waist in an attempt to prompt her from her seat, but Bella would have none of it, she raised her forearms to his shoulders, then ended the wrap in each hand.

Angell smiled as he watched those bright green wraps touch Mister Flynn's scarlet babyface. He would just bet the feel of that core waist beneath his palms would be the undoing so much of the pompous Mister Flynn.

"This is outrageous," Miss McCarthy said, looking around the room as if for confirmation of the absurdity of the situation. While every line of her body spoke her indignation, Angell experienced the first clues that maybe this had been a bad idea.

A moment later, when the man with the yellow leer and one patched eye approached her, he knew it was.

"Don't get uppity now," The man said with every one of his ugly teeth showing. "let the gentleman have a little fun. I'll keep you busy in the meantime, sugar,"

Angell groaned and got to his feet, and he'd started this whole mess; now, he was obligated to stop it.

"Thank you, no," Miss McCarthy stated. "If all of you would simply leave us alone, we'll be on our way—Mister Flynn?" She snapped Matthew's name like a whip, and he glanced at her. Guilt is evident in his eyes.

Angell nearly chuckled, So the lick-spittle was enjoying Miss Cather's company. Noted the swift removal of Mister Flynn's hand from Bella's nearly bareback.

"Oh, don't go, honey," Bella cooed, smoothing Matthews's hair with her fingers and leaning in so close her breasts pushed up against his shirt front. "I was just starting to like you."

"Just a drink," the thug slurred to Miss McCarthy, placing a grimy paw on her sleeve. "It'll calm you right down. Just take my word for it."

Miss McCarthy's eyes scanned the room in a panic. Angell felt a sharp pang of remorse, and he cleared his throat,

"I believe," he started in his laziest drawl ambling towards the group, "The lady ain't interested in your company."

Yellow teeth and one eye slid to Angell. "Who in the world are you?"

_

Don't forget to vote and share