Go See Her

Don walked through the hospital doors in search of his best friend, who he knew would be sitting in his wife's room. When he found the room he was looking for he knocked quietly and the little girl inside looked up.

            "Uncle Don," Lucy said, sliding off Danny's lap and running over to him.

            "Hey there little lady," he said, leaning down to pick her up, "How are you?"

            "Good, but mommy's still sleeping," she said sadly.

            "Well, I'm sure she's gonna wake up soon," Flack told her.

            "I drawed her this picture for when she wakes up," Lucy said as he set her back down on Danny's lap.

            "Well, I know she's gonna love that; it looks great," he said smiling at her before turning to his best friend, "How you holding up man?"

            "Alright," Danny shrugged, "Just really want her to wake up, ya know?"

            "Yeah I know man, she will," Flack reassured him.

            "How about you?" Danny asked, "Mac told me what happened in that alley."

            "Yeah, yeah I'm alright," Flack said, "You know, as alright as anyone is right now."

            "Flack," Danny said in disbelief, "Come on man, I know you. Talk to me." Flack looked at Danny and sighed heavily.

            "I just – It was like being back there man. Like, when that little girl grabbed my arm and looked at me... I wasn't in that alley anymore Danno; it wasn't a little girl lying on the ground. It was Jess. I was back in that diner watched the woman I loved slowly fade away," Flack said quietly, his eyes far off and distant.

            "Flack... have you been to see her recently?" Danny asked.

            "Nah," Flack said, "I want to, but it's just... It's hard."

            "I know it is, but I think you'd feel a lot better if you did," Danny said. Flack just nodded, not sure what to say.

            "Don," Danny said and Flack looked up, "Go see her." Flack took a deep breath and nodded as he stood up.

            "Thanks Danny," he said, "Call me when she wakes up kay?" Danny nodded and watched his friend walk out of the room. Flack was gonna be okay, they all were. He sighed and turned back to his daughter, smiling slightly as he watched her add more colour to her drawing.