Chapter Eight - Let's Get This Party Started

Monday, 27th of March, 2007 - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Andy's plan went excellently. After the incident in North Carolina, as much as she wouldn't admit it, her confidence was definitely shaken a bit. Which was fine, because Patrick was always happy to volunteer to keep her company and make sure she got from A to B safely. They ended up spending almost every moment the band wasn't on stage together. After their show in Pittsburgh, Pete received an invitation to a party in his honour from a guy who claimed they went to high school together. He reckoned that it was high time to celebrate his "old friend" who had made it big. Pete, not being one to turn down free booze and a good time, accepted immediately, much to the rest of the band's dismay who had hoped for a quiet night after their gig. They walked into the party and immediately Pete was dragged off by a group of people, he was the man of the hour after all. It wasn't long before Patrick got recognised too, someone tugging at his arm to follow them. He'd said that he was going to hang out with her and Andy for the night, but he shot her an apologetic look before being enveloped in the mass of people. She went to turn to the remaining two members of the band, seeing that Joe had already left. "Right..." she mumbled as she looked up at the bearded drummer.

"You can go party if you want. I don't drink anyway." He shrugged.

"No, I gotta make sure you guys-" Andy raised an eyebrow, "That Pete, doesn't cost the label money." She clarified.

"Let's go find some non-alcoholic beverages and a quiet spot then." He said with a nod towards the back of the house. They quickly found a stashed bottle of lemonade and claimed it as their own. Eventually they found their way outside and made themselves comfy on the two deck chairs facing the expanse of lawn at the back of the house. "So, are you enjoying the tour?" Andy asked as he took a sip from his plastic cup. She shrugged lightly.

"It's all right; you guys are fun to hang out with and it's an awesome experience. I kinda miss home though. It must suck for you guys being away constantly."

"You get used to it. Living in buses is kind of like camping. Having a girlfriend on tour is hard though... I miss my girl back at home." He sighed deeply, looking up at the sky for a moment. "Pete has the right idea, as much as he may seem like a bit of a prat for it. It's easier to break-up with your girlfriend before you leave so that you don't have to worry about it while you're away."

"He does that?" She asked in surprise.

"Yep, almost every time; it's been the same poor girl for a while now actually. Girls always approach you while you're touring; they always want something from you. And even if you push them back time and time again it just puts a strain on things. I can't imagine how she feels knowing I have that constantly..." He shook his head, staring deeply into his cup.

"Hey, if she knows anything at all about you, then she'll know you're the most loyal and faithful guy ever." She reassured, placing a hand on his shoulder. He nodded slightly to himself before looking up at her.

"Thanks. I needed that tonight." He smiled.

They chatted for a couple of hours on the back porch, sharing various stories of their home lives, before they were interrupted by Pete's shouting, which was so loud it could be heard over the music. They waited until they'd heard it a few times before opting to intervene. Upon stepping back inside they saw a drunken Pete stumbling around the lounge room. "Has anyone seen Patrick?" He asked as he grabbed the shoulders of a random stranger.

"I'd better go deal with that." She excused herself as she weaved through to people to get to the lyricist. "Pete!" She called as she approached him. He spun around and shouted her name in surprise as he pulled her into a tight hug. As quickly as he pulled her in though, he pushed her away, a frantic look in his eyes.