Revelation

Naseem's my best friend. 

He continued reading. 

She is a topper of her college too. But you know that already. She is my only friend. My best friend. Some of the other girls are snobbish. They are rich. Very rich.They make fun of us merit students. Maybe they are jealous of our grades. Maybe they are jealous we made it on our own and not because of the wealth of our rich parents.

He sighed and shook his head.

Bhaiyya, something happened on Monday. I knew something bad was going to happen. Just hadn't known what to expect then.

He narrowed his eyes and read further.

It was raining that day too, it was a Monday. Mondays are usually very busy. We were in the Biochemistry class. By the time Naseem finished copying the notes, we realised we were going to be late for the next class, the Anatomy class. Anatomy class is usually in the building opposite the main building. It has the lab attached to it.

He nodded.

Once we got out of the building we made a run for the Anatomy class so we could make it in time.

Naseem had forgotten her umbrella so we were sharing mine. The rains were heavy, so heavy we could barely see what was ahead of us. And the road was slippery. There were puddles everywhere. There were many other students running ahead of us to get to the other building.

But just then, Naseem tripped on her shoes. I tried to catch her, but she fell forward and knocked the girl in front of us. The girl tripped forward and fell in a puddle of mud.

Everybody broke into a laugh. Everyone but us.

The girl swore under her breath and got up to her feet. Her top was covered in mud, so was her hair and her hands. But the anger that flashed across her eyes sent shudders down my body.

She was Raima. Raima Malhotra, daughter of the famous textile mogul, Prabhakar Malhotra. I don't like her. She is rich and arrogant and always rude. She is a senior and thinks everyone must treat her with respect.

Mahendra frowned but continued reading with intent. 

We helped her to her feet but she pushed us away. We apologised to her profusely but she glared at the two of us with hate. The other students around us laughed at her. I knew she wouldn't take this instead lightly. And as though reading my mind, she threatened us and warned, she won't forgive easily and will ensure we will pay for this."

At that time we were getting late, so we shrugged her threats off and ran to our class. But the chill that trickled down my spine and settled at the base of my belly was telling me this wouldn't end well. Naseem too clung to me all evening shaken by Raima's words. But then nothing happened that night and the following day, so we thought all was forgotten."

But two days later, at half past ten at night we had a knock on our door. There were some senior girls outside asking us to come down immediately. We have been told to obey the orders of seniors, it is a part of the protocol of the hostel. So without another word of protest we followed them."

But much to our shock, Raima was there and she glared at the two of us. 

Mahendra clenched his jaw. Everything was beginning to fall into place. 

She wanted to know who had knocked her that afternoon. The rains had been so heavy she hadn't realised which one of the two of us it had been. Naseem trembled in fear. But I stood up for her instead and took the blame upon myself. I thought she would make me apologise or might make me do the chores of the hostel like cleaning the dishes or cleaning the toilets, which the seniors have rolled out to the juniors in the past.