chapter seven

. . .

Everly Clark

NO, IT couldn't be. This was probably some silly old prank or something. I mean there is a huge chance that R.H. doesn't stand for Ricky Hans. It could stand for Ronaldo Henderson or something. He couldn't have found me, he hadn't for nine years so why now?

Wrong.

I can't believe I was so stupid. Did I really think that I could escape Ricky? He was like a lion, he was the king of beasts and he would never miss his prey. I will never be able to run from this, from him.

I sighed and looked at the check for five hundred thousand dollars I had earned last night. I picked it up and twirled it in my hands, making sure it was real and not my imagination. The Gwen Lights' mysterious husband had bought my painting, surprising I know.

I tilted my head to the side, remembering last nights events. The way I had smiled and laughed the entire night, feeling like a young teenager again. I was living in a fantasy but reality had caught up once again.

The sun was shining brightly and shined through my windows, making my little house look a lot more pleasant. Both my parents were on the way and luckily were both sober. I hadn't seen them both in a while and I wanted to tell them so much. Believe it or not, I still needed them.

They knew who I was before and after Scottie. They knew every part of me and that calmed me a bit. I needed someone who understood me, we all went through that together. Sure I had it worse but I still needed someone.

But, I will never be able to trust and look at them the same way ever again. Sure I forgave them, I wasn't big on grudges but I will never forget. The way they sat there waiting for Scottie and his men to be done with me. How selfish they were to not even try calling the cops even when they had the chance too. Or how nine years later and they still hadn't learned from their mistake.

I heard the doorknob jiggle and open making me turn my head swiftly to face them. Both my parents walked in, looking even worse since the last time I saw them. They looked older, way too old for their age.

"Mom," I paused to look at her before looking at dad, "Dad."

They said nothing but proceeded to make themselves comfortable on my couch. They then began to look around the house, small frowns on both of their faces.

"You both look amazing!" I said with fake enthusiasm, trying to make the mood lighter. Believe it or not, their frowns deepened.

"You got money," dad finally spoke, breaking the tense silence.

I looked at the ground, feeling disappointed all over again. Just once I wanted him to ask how I was, not about how much money I had earned. But, all his life depended on was money. That's all he ever cared about.