Annoyed

Annoyed (adj.)
slightly angry; irritated

Why the hell did I go to law school? That was the only question that flashed through your brain as you went through flashcard after flashcard and notebook after notebook, attempting to study for your Bar exam

Why the hell did I go to law school? That was the only question that flashed through your brain as you went through flashcard after flashcard and notebook after notebook, attempting to study for your Bar exam. All that was left to do was to be certified. You already had a job and everything. The Bar exam was it. If you failed this, you'd fail your life in your opinion.

Hearing the door to your shared bedroom squeak open, you sighed to yourself, running your hands through your hair in frustration. All you wanted was peace and quiet, but it was beyond obvious you wouldn't get that.

"Hey, babe," he smiled, innocent as he chewed the end off of a granola bar and sat next to you on your desk bench. Cleaning a crumb off of his lip by running his tongue over it, he relaxed into your side, a tranquil smile on his face as he rested his head on your shoulder. Usually, this was cute and a very tender and sweet moment the two of you shared, but the Bar just had you fired up. "What are you up to? I was thinking we could just go for a drive tonight, maybe go to an ice cream parlor."

"I'm trying to study for the Bar, A. You know that's what I'm going to be doing for the next couple of days. Why the hell are you even suggesting going out?" You were exasperated with his concepts, immediately turning to look at him and slamming your study book shut. Alden was quick to scoot away a little bit, a kicked puppy kind of look on his face as you snapped. You never snapped like this.

"I'm sorry. I just thought it would be nice to get your mind off of this exam. You've been so stressed—!"

"This isn't just some exam. This is the Bar. This is my livelihood, Alden Caleb. I do not play games when it comes to my livelihood. You have no clue how frustrated I am with the fact all you do is just try to distract me!" You took your reading glasses off and set them on the desk, rubbing your tired and bloodshot eyes, trying to encourage any tears to come and at least keep them moisturizer because they were so dry. "Do you understand how annoyed I am with you? All you've been doing lately is complaining about this test. The Bar this. The Bar that. I'm sick of it! I'm glad you want to do well. I want you to too, but it can't be at the cost of our relationship!" His sudden burst had you shocked. This was not his typical self. Did I really hurt him this badly?

"A, I didn't mean to—!"

"No! I don't care! Who's been there for you through undergrad, you having a college major identity crisis, encouraged you to switch your major, and literally proofread every paper you ever submitted to any of your classes so we both knew you had a fighting chance at this?! Oh, I know! Me! It's been me for ten years of your life just endlessly supporting you and I just want to help you de-stress!" Needing to cool off, Alden left the bedroom, grabbing his pajamas off of the bed. He would be much too flustered to even sleep next to you that night.

After hours more of studying, you looked up at the clock. It was almost midnight and you couldn't believe it. Usually, Alden was in bed by then, but then it hit you that he was still pissed at you and had every right to. He did everything for you, just wanting you to be happy and you never even had the nerve to say thank you.

You hurried downstairs, nothing but the phrase 'fuck the Bar' on your mind. Clad in pajama shorts and one of Alden's baggy shirts, you tiptoed over to the couch, the tv on with the glow of QVC late night deals. Retail therapy again. "Hey, A? You up?" You murmured, noting as soon as you spoke, the mute sign coming across the screen's corner. You walked in front of the couch, crouching before his face as he laid there. "I'm really sorry about earlier. I know I should be more thankful for you, but these last few days have been pretty rough. We'll go do all of these amazing things as soon as I'm done with the exam, okay? You can come to pick me up and we'll go right for that drive and ice cream. I promise." Alden's tired smile and nod were enough of an acceptance of your apology. Of course, you would never forgive yourself for the trouble you caused him.

Adjusting himself, Alden made room on the couch. You laid flush against his chest, your back against him as you two turned the sound back on to at least have some background noise. "We should get matching luggage," he joked, kissing your hairline. You shook your head, giggling to yourself as the two of you settled in for the night. You really did appreciate how sweet this man was. He was everything.

Ta-da! Hey, folks! Sorry I've been so MIA this week, but as I've said—exams are kicking my ass

Ta-da! Hey, folks! Sorry I've been so MIA this week, but as I've said—exams are kicking my ass. Don't worry, there's plenty more where this one came from! Tomorrow is the last day of school and I am beyond ready to get out of that joint. Trust me.
However: a concept—as many of you know, instead of taking plot requests, I like to switch around the reader's profession. Suggest me some professions. I'm thinking of doing another with the Spanish teacher and a screenwriter or a marine biologist. Don't be shy! Leave a comment. But as always, I hope you have a great day/night and I will catch you on the flip side!
—Mackenzie