1.

Like every year, the Rovers family threw a big garden party. The house was lighted in such a way, the whole village at the bottom of the hill bathed in the light. As normal I was there too, considering I am their son's best friend. Tom and I had been mates ever since I snuck into their garden in attempt to run away from my own nanny bumping into his figure. He held a sword high to my throat that day, but the weapon of a six year old isn't up against meeting a new play friend. Since then we would hang out in his treehouse for hours, gathering secret meetings to find out ways to annoy Tom's little sister, Maud.

Everywhere we went, people would secretly stare at us, knowing exactly who we were, the sons of the two most wealthy families of the entire island. When we grew older, girls started to look at us differently, their gazes shimmering as they batted their lashes whenever we were near. Tom enjoyed all the attention and I did too, if I have to admit, but he was the one who also spoke first to those girls, in the mean time winking to the other side of the street in case those girls felt neglected.

The garden was beautifully decorated for the party with candles everywhere, giving of the scent of citrus. On the tables were small salads and all kinds of meat and fish displayed, ready to be served neatly on the white porcelain plates with colorful borders. The orchestra stood on one of the many terraces, practicing the last few songs before the party would commence. The garden was filled with small ponds where light pink waterlilies were drifting off caressed by a soft summer evening breeze.

As normal, Mrs. Rovers was directing the servants, who were dressed in light yellow, wavy dresses for the occasion. When she noticed me, Mrs. Rovers immediately send them away to do their chores. « Felix, you look extraordinary tonight! » she exclaimed and nodded almost unnoticed.

« Not as much as you do, madam. » I replied and kissed her hand, covered in a white lace glove. She winked and almost made a girly giggle.  «You've done an incredible job once again. » I looked around at the garden which was now a fairytale scenery. She rolled her eyes. « Well, someone has to do it. Now, dear, would you mind checking on Tom? That would be nice. » Mrs. Rovers walked away straight towards one of the servants who had caught her eye.

I walked inside the mansion, straight towards Tom's room on the second floor. Without knocking I entered, we had lost those kind of manners long ago. His dark silhouette just rose from the kingsize bed in the center of the room. Dressed in a dark shirt and dark trousers, he fixed his matching black boots. Combined with his even darker hair, he almost seemed a shadow, escaped from a fairytale. He grinned when he noticed me, standing behind his reflection in the massive mirror. « Just in time. » Tom turned around fierce, his head held high. As he stepped away from the mirror I noticed my own features. Compared to Tom, my white shirt, deep red vest and trousers looked almost too extravagant. I quickly ran my hand through the messy blonde curls on top of my head that had decided to go all the way tonight.

« Let's go, before your mother gets a heart attack. The guests can arrive any moment. » I opened the door just as Maud walked by. She looked absolutely stunning that night. She was wearing a deep red dress, finished with lace sleeves and a lace corset. The simple golden necklace and earrings were shimmering in the candlelights. Her long dark hair was braided into a sophisticated knot made of tiny smaller braids. The whole construction must've taken hours.

« Hands off. » Tom mumbled behind me. « Not interested. » I replied out of habit. Tom had warned me about her so many times. But he didn't have to worry, I did not fancy her. Tom rolled his eyes, an act that was kind of a second nature to him « Sure. Come on. » He nudged me down the staircase just in time to welcome the first guests. We took our places next to the giant staircase, which was the center of the great hall to guide all the guests to the garden as we welcomed them and offered them to accept a drink presented by the servants as they made their way to the garden. A group of girls entered, all dressed to impress revealing their shoulders and neckline, their pale white skins from avoiding the sun. One of them approached us with a lot of confidence and placed her hand in Tom's extended hand. « Tom, Felix, it's so nice to see you two again. » She smiled, her blood red lips pressed together not to reveal her teeth. « The pleasure is ours, Ms. Ravens. » Tom replied before kissing her pale hand. The crowd of girls behind her giggled and sighed. One by one they just walked by, stealing glances every now and then.