•5•

-•-

I hold my journal tight against my legs, staring down at the cover of it while sitting in the back of Alpha Rakkon's car. In the front seat, he drives with Ilyas seated next to him and Narkis sitting one seat over from me. The car isn't as packed as the rest of the vehicles, driving away and leaving behind the Death Stalkers Pack, the only home I've ever known.

I'm apprehensive though, due to the reasoning of my departure is to fulfill the needs of Alpha Rakkon's pack. I'm traded one spot for another, but now I'm not sure how long I'll last...

...if he's going to reject me in front of his pack to cause me more pain. That I will be trapped there, wasting my days away as I'll feel the pain of rejection while still having to see him.

My grip intensifies on the journal, my knuckles turning white as we gain distance away from Alpha Zenon's territory. It's very quiet though, able to hear a pin if it were dropped.

I wasn't allowed to pack any clothes, the only belonging I could take with me was the journal. Alpha Rakkon breaks the silence as we've been driving for hours on end, "When we arrive, Narkis will show you to my room where you will wait to be called for."

I nod my response, but he's quick to say, "I can't hear you."

"Yes, Alpha Rakkon," I reply back, my voice quivering in the process as I attempt to keep my breathing even.

It's not long after he tells me what will happen, then we arrive in his territory. The land is different, the climate warmer as the cars drive up the dirt pathway to what I see is an even larger lodge than Alpha Zenon's. I can see already the sheer force of numbers Alpha Rakkon has within the ranks of his pack, going about their lives and duties within the pack.

I didn't realize my heart was beating so fast until the car stops, my gaze flickering upward. For a split second, I catch Alpha Rakkon's gaze in the rearview mirror, the air constricting in my chest as I can't discern his features. A few moments later, he exits the car, along with Narkis and Ilyas.

I'm a little thrown off though, when Ilyas opens my door and allows for me to exit the vehicle. A woman's voice calls after a group of pups, "You wanna pull a prank, I'll show you a prank!" She's shaking her fist at the giggling group, her eyes catching sight of the returning Nightshade Prowlers Pack members...and then her eyes settle on me.

I notice very quickly though, even from those who'd once appeared completely stoic and wondering if they'd kill without remorse...all of their features shift slightly. They aren't as callus, not statues. Those who are mated, are quick to embrace their mates, their pups, reuniting with their families. Those who are unmated, they meet up with buddies and spin tales about the visit to the Death Stalkers Pack.

I'm taken aback when I hear Alpha Rakkon chuckle and ask, "What did they do this time, Zeta?"

"Snakes in place of the spaghetti," she shakes her head and they...laugh.

"Well, I'm sure you'll think of something," Alpha Rakkon nods and I see a smirk cross her features.

Zeta replies with a wicked grin, "Don't eat the dessert tonight, Alpha Rakkon."

"Oh my," he chuckles and that's the last I hear from the two of them before I am being led up the porch steps and through the front door to the lodge. There are many who are whispering when they see me, holding the journal close to my chest with my arms crossed over it. I avoid any eye contact at all costs.