Witness of Another World

Soon, Kaitlyn stopped the bus and looked out the front window. I stood up from a seat and looked to see what she was looking at. It was the school, but all the lights had gone out and it was completely black inside, not to mention that the sun had almost set and it was going to get a lot darker. Without saying anything she continued towards the school. We couldn't stop now, especially when there were more adults in the school and with the rest of the students there would be many mouths to feed by the time we arrived with the food and water.

I looked back at the others, "we are at the school, but all of the lights are out and with the sun setting it will be extremely dark. When we stop we will need to work as fast as we can." No one complained about it, I only hoped they understood what I meant by that. The bus started up again and in a few seconds we drove into the parking lot, everyone picking up whatever they could carry and bringing it out of the bus. Reese grabbed two of the bags and walked to the front door of the school, peering inside before trying the handle, the door sitting there without budging an inch.

I picked up my bags and walked up to her as she began knocking on the door, "open up please!" She tried the handle again before throwing a kick at the door. "Ok time for a magic trick," she told herself before backing up a few steps and shouting, "OPEN SESAME BITCH!"

In a few seconds after that as if on signal, a dim light began to shimmer behind the door and soon the opened it, revealing mr. Spila who was holding a candle. "did everything go well?" He asked us as the others finished unpacking and had begun carrying everything to the door.

"Not even close to, "well", we were attacked by a giant blue lizard and Miguel attempted to be hero and got himself cut." Reese explained, gesturing to me as she spoke about how I tried to distract the lizard. They exchanged a few more words before we were let inside, I was too busy staring into the abyss to listen, I was right when I thought that these creatures were from "Rain World". We all stepped into the darkness of the school, setting down the bags of food. In the pits, more candles lit to reveal the faces of other students, brightening up the school just a little bit more.

"The power went out while you were away, the only things we had were candles and it will be staying that way until the power comes back on." I looked up at the ceiling, the sky had darkened significantly within the few minutes that were spent. Not only that but everyone in the school seemed frightened now, barely speaking a word. Quickly I returned to the bus and grabbed more of the bags, looking down the road at the lifeless houses, a small figure darted past, followed by a slightly bigger one, predator and prey. Before I knew it I was once again in the abyss, thinking to myself, what has the world come to? What happened to our one home to cause these turn of events to happen? I brought the rest of the bags inside, each filled with all sorts of foods, hopefully enough to feed everyone in the school, now that I actually took a look at the lit faces, there weren't many adults here, or at least many new ones, were they stationed somewhere else? I silently asked as placed down the last bag, or were there not many adults around?... or left? More thoughts would have entered my mind if I stood there longer but I shook them out, the moon had begun to rise.

"Alright everyone, move to your classes, you will all be sleeping there for now!" I heard the principle call out, no one could argue, at least the classrooms had a soft floor and sleeping here would mean banging their heads against stone, metal and the bodies of other students. Everyone complied and soon enough were all in their classrooms or on their way, I was maybe the fifth to enter my classroom as I watched the adults grab the pile of bags we had filled with food. Once I was in I looked at the blank pieces of paper and pencils at the back, it was too dark to begin drawing but now I knew they were there as another option other than the paper in the library. More students came into the classroom and as I looked over my shoulder I noticed Coen, Reese and Shantae following Kaitlyn inside. I assumed it was safety as a group when they walked over to the back where I was.