Chapter 13

Hiccup's POV

„Who's there?“, I asked as I jumped up. Toothless growled but over his growl I heard a high noise, like someone taking a sharp breath, but the sun blinded me and the sound of wind and growling filled my ears. “It's me, Astrid.”, she said. I frowned. How does she knew I'm here? “What are you doing here?”, I asked her, as she took a few steps closer and Toothless stopped growling. She had a basket with fish in her hands and put it down in front of Toothless. “I-I just... I thought he was hungry... I mean, you kinda forgot about him because you slept the whole day yesterday. I'm sorry we can't take him into the town. The people get nervous when they see a dragon, you know?” She petted Toothless, causing him to do his cat-like 'purr' and lifting his head. I can't help but smile. Toothless likes Astrid. And Astrid likes Toothless. Does she like me? I mean... she liked me before. It's been five years, she's probably over it. Hopefully. “So.. uhm... did you, bring our luggage? I think we where to busy doing.. stuff and greeting everyone. We simple forget about it.” Astrid frowned at me, but it was that kind of frown you do before you laugh. At least when she did. Her laughter filled the air and she stroke some hair out of her face. She didn't changed a bit in this years. Well, besides her appearance. Her blond hair hung in a really thick braid over her shoulder. Some strains of her hair hung out of it and some smaller braids where included in the 'main' braid. I just noticed how ornately her hair was done. Just imagine doing this every day! “Hiccup?” I didn't even realized that she got closer. Oh god... did she asked me something? I haven't paid attention! “Yeah?”, I gulped over her innocent eyes looking at me. “I... I want to ask you something.”, she requested, rubbing her hands together nervously. “Sure, go on.”, I uttered. She took a deep breath and looked everywhere but my face, like she is avoiding it for a reason. “I... I see the way you look at Merida... and I was thinking... I mean... I... I don't know how to explain... I've always liked you and those five years where such a pain for me... I was so happy seeing you again but... the moment you told me you and Merida are getting married... You know... I thought I moved on, but.. I just can't!” Her voice sounded the same as at the moment she told me about this five years thing and she started to walk in circles. “And taking care of your father made it even harder for me... I just.. I...” Her watery eyes looked into mine and she dug her fingernails in her braid, messing it up, and I have no idea how to react. I'm waiting for a question. “I just want to know... if there is still a chance that we...?” I gulped and my eyes widen. Do I have to break her heart? Yes, yes I have to. My head was filled with everything. Emotions, memories, information, ways to tell her it's over. I bit my lip and looked away to think, but I guess it was enough for her to understand, as I heard her exhaling really loud and mumbling: “There is no chance... am I right?” “I'm sorry...”, I said, starting to walk over to Toothless. “I have to go. I need to take care of the dragons. Toothless!” He rose his head out of the basked filled with fish and looked at me with his big green eyes. I swung myself on the saddle and Toothless swallowed the fish he was just nibbling at and approached into the air. My name, called by Astrid's vinous voice, rang in my ears before we left the cliff. I closed my eyes and told Toothless where to go. I have to think. To think about what Astrid just said. I told Merida she moved on, but I was wrong. What should I do now? Two women fighting over me. Astrid and Merida. Yeah, they didn't really fought yet, but it could happen. Will Astrid be angry if I won't invite her to our marriage? Will Merida be if I do? I rubbed my face with both of my hands and exhaled. Loud, angry and annoyed. Not only the dragons are a problem now. I took my hand's off my face and realized where we were. “Alright, you can go down slowly. Something where we can land easy.”, I told Toothless as he slowed down and we got back to the ground. The place where the dragon where wasn't far away from Berk and it was guarded by people. One of them was Fishlegs, who greeted me as Toothless and I came closer. There was a big cave behind them and some weird scream like noises echoed from the depths of it. “I'm glad you came here to help us. But I have to warn you, they are really aggressive!”, Fishlegs told me as I took a step closer. A more precised look showed that there were bars of steel and other materials locking up the dragons, shutting them out, or better said in. “So, how do we get in there?”, I asked, frowning. The other guy guarding the cave gave me a confused look. “Wow, you really want to go in there?” His voice sounded familiar but I couldn't remember who he was. A lot of people changed in 5 years. Some are complete different, some went insane, some people died but some still stayed the same inside. I gulped and listened to the desperate and rage filled screams of the dragons behind the bars. Stones crumbled under some dragons movements and I sensed fear. But it wasn't mine. I turned around to see Toothless, but he wasn't scared either, he was confused and curious. “Your choice. You let me in, or them out.”, I stated. I was confident that I will fix this together with Toothless. I believe.