Chapter 1

"What can I start you off with to drink tonight, ma'am?"

I look down at the options on the glossy menu, scanning over them quickly.

"Strawberry lemonade, please."

The woman nods and leaves without further comment. I sit the menu back down watching as the restaurant's ceiling lights create a glare on its surface. There's only a soft murmur within the restaurant despite the fact that every table is occupied.

I'm not surprised it's packed. After all, Devin and I had to reserve this table three weeks in advance. Unconsciously, my eyes drift to the empty seat across from me and swallow hard, trying to shake off the idea that seeps through me right now.

He'll show up. I'm a few minutes early anyways. With this in mind, I glance down at the time on my phone. It's 6:57, and our date was supposed to start in three minutes. For a moment, a twist of worry appears somewhere deep in my gut, but I'm quick to squash it into dust. There's no way he'd be late, he knows how important this dinner is to me.

To us, I suppose.

I close my eyes, trying to calm the worries that's trying to consume me.

"Can you believe it's been three years already?" I ask Devin while curling up on the couch.

I can hear him in the kitchen putting the dishes away. I turn to look as he enters the doorway, wiping water from his hands and onto his pants. The denim darkens from the liquid in splotches.

Devin moves away from the doorway and joins me on the couch, leaning back into the cushions. "Yeah, crazy."

"What do you think we should do?" I ask.

He shrugs and scratches the back of his neck, looking away. "I don't know. Whatever you want."

"Well-" I pause, trying to think of some way to celebrate the occasion. After all, three years is a big accomplishment. Most couples don't even make it past one! "-let's have dinner, and finding a nice seat by the window at a diner does not count. I'm talking about a nice dinner at a restaurant where we can have some privacy. Hey, what about that Carribean place on Mulberry Rd? I've heard that place is amazing. We'll have to make reservations though."

Devin nods along, "Sure, sounds great."

I'm pulled out of my deep revere of thoughts by the waitress. "Ma'am, are you ready to order?" Wasn't she just here two seconds ago?

"Oh, not just yet. I'm expecting someone," I say as I take a look at the empty seat across from me.

The waitress looks at me for a moment, obviously skeptical, but then nods, smiles, and walks away. I feel myself heave a frustrated sigh. Devin was always able to make other dates and functions on time -- other than ours. He knew how much today meant and we literally just had a talk about it yesterday, the day before, and honestly, probably the day before that too. I know I had been talking Valandria's ear off about it. She was my best friend and I knew I could count on her to be there for me when I needed her.

"So, you're wanting to impress Devin. Why? If he can't appreciate you in general, why would you even want to," Val asked as she handed me several dresses over the dressing room door. I had been trying on dresses all day and she hadn't complained once. This is why I love her. Now, her mouth, on the other hand, that is a whole different ball game.

"I'm not trying to impress him, Val. I'm just trying to, you know, have a few more sparks fly. He seemed really busy lately. He should relax and that is what our anniversary date next week is all about. Just us," I said while shimming into a tight black dress. It complained my body in every possible way without showing off too much skin. It looked just classy enough to pass for the restaurant we would be dining at.