Chapter 2: A Stolen Date

The city lights shine all around me as we exit the fancy restaurant, my hand still clasped in Hunter's.

His excited eyes turn to me, "What is your favorite place in the city, Miss Rosalie?" His smile matches the bright flashing lights of the movie theater sign. What was my favorite place, here? Devin and I never really walked around very much. He always had to be at some engagement with his work and myself at the college forty minutes from here.

"I don't really know. I..um..don't really spend much time here." My nervousness was beginning to show. I was here, in the city, alone with a stranger I didn't even know. "I...I think I should call a cab, to take me home. Thank-"

"Nonsense, you came out for a night of romance and wonder, and that Miss Rosalie-" He paused. not knowing my last name,.

"Green," I tell him, "Rosalie Green."

"Miss Rosalie Green, is exactly what I intend to give you." His eyes gleam as he takes my hand once again, leading me farther into the bright commotion the city had to offer.

I take my time as I let him lead me around the bustling groups of people. It's hard not to admire the features of the man who rescued me from what could have been a horrifying outcome of a date. His dark hair appears model-ready, even with the obvious mess to it. His back is stretching out his black coat. As I continue to study him I realize that his tux matches the fitted dress I'm wearing. How ironic. While my thoughts roam to my beautiful dress that Devin has now missed out on, Hunter decides to take a sharp left heading for the neon light minigolf and go-karts place on the street ahead.

"Mini-golf?" His smile pulls me, the happiness glowing from him felt inviting. "Play... If you dare." His voice drops an octave as he teases me. He holds his mischievous smirk as we continue into the fun-filled establishment. I begin to pull out my purse to pay for my ticket, but Hunter hands the man his credit card before I get the chance.

He lowers himself to whisper in my ear, "I'm taking you out, remember Babe?" His words send tingles down my back and I find myself wishing that Devin had called me babe more often. The way Hunter says it-- my thoughts are interrupted by a golf club being pushed my way. It isn't long before Hunter and I are encompassed by the dark, the black lights causing us to have to walk blindly in the course.

"I've got you." His hand clasps onto mine, helping to lead me through the maze of neon items and darkness until we arrive at the first hole. The place is almost empty due to the fact that it's a kid's place and it's almost midnight. Hunter lines up his shot, how he can see in this darkness amazes me, but I hear the plastic hollow sound as his ball makes its mark in the hole, "Hole in one," He announces triumphantly.

I raise my eyebrow as I let the sentence flow from my mouth before continuing, "Are you sure you're not cheating with some special glasses or something?"

His fingers splayed across my hips causing me to gasp from the closeness, his breath hot on my neck, "I've played other games in the dark too."

His abrupt comment leads me unable to hit the ball in any acceptable direction and his effect on me is confirmed as I hear the familiar plop of the ball falling in a built-in pond. Hunter turns me to face him clicking his tongue, "Now at this rate you're never going to win." I pull back trying to remember this handsome man is still a stranger to me, "Maybe not every game is about winning."

I can still see the white of his smile in this darkness beconking me closer, "Oh Rosalie, the things you must learn." He uses his club to bring me closer bracing it across my back, "I can be very competitive." I am finally thankful for the lack of lights as it allows my blushed cheeks to go unnoticed, never had Devin paid such attention to me, at least not in the last two years.