Chapter VII

Poe was right in dragging her out of her room. The chance for a breather was what Rey had needed. Now everything she read she absorbed faster and learned the abilities much easier. Knowing she wasn't confined to her room, and that she had somewhere to go for a rest freed her.

Once she got over the idea that she had previously broken most of the rules in the Jedi Code and promised to abide by them, another realization bothered her: the sole weapon of a Jedi was a lightsaber, and she no longer had one. Nowhere in the books had instructions on how to build one.

Rey took out Master Luke's broken lightsaber and looked down at it. The sight of it always brought up the memory of her and Kylo working together to defeat Snoke's Elite Praetorian Guards. Then his offer repeated in her head, accompanied by the sincere plea in his voice and that hand waiting for hers. What if she had taken his hand? What would've happened if she had taken up his offer?

She shook her head to clear her thoughts as she put the lightsaber away. Rey couldn't get distracted by 'what-ifs'.

Maybe she could build her own lightsaber on her own with materials around Akiva. She was resourceful and smart; it couldn't be too hard...

***

"This is unexpected."

Rey's head shot up, startled at hearing Kylo Ren's deep voice. He had entered what she had presumed was his room and was looking down at her.

She began to speak when she noticed her surroundings: the curved, tan walls weren't around her; instead, they were silver, and black furniture took place of her own bed. She wasn't sitting cross-legged in the Akiva palace anymore—she was in his room.

Rey shot to her feet. How did the Force teleport her across the Galaxy to Kylo's room—wherever it was—without her noticing? Why? Whatever the reason, she needed to get out of there.

"Is that one of the Sacred Jedi Texts?" Kylo asked, stepping forward.

She threw her hand up, using the Force like she read to make him freeze mid-step. He looked at her, impressed. "Don't come near me," she warned.

"You've been reading," he stated. He pushed back at her, breaking her concentration and effortlessly finishing his step. "But you still have much to learn; especially on focus."

"I'm making progress. I think I'm doing well, considering I'm teaching myself."

"I can still guide you."

"Through the Dark Side?" She shook her head. "I think I'll stick with what I have."

"What? Books? You need more than that." He started to advance once more.

Rey used the Force again to stop him.

His eyes locked with hers. "I'm not going to harm you."

She didn't know whether or not to believe him. He hadn't broken out of her Force Hold yet and direct it back on her, but he was practically a Sith. She was Light, and he was Dark—opposites; natural enemies.

Kylo's lips lifted. "Wariness? That's good. It looks like I've already taught you the first lesson: don't trust anyone."

"You aren't teaching me anything!" she declared.

"I'm not?" In a quick move, Kylo broke her Force Hold and reflected it; now, she was immobile under his Force Hold.

"Time for your first test," he told her. "Break my concentration to get free."

"No," she said through gritted teeth.

"Then you'll just be frozen forever. I'm not going to let you go just to show mercy."

Rey glared at him. She wasn't going to go down to his level—just what he wanted. If she yelled loud enough, someone was bound to come in and help. But what if he turned on them?

He rolled his eyes. "I'm not forcing you to go against the stupid Jedi Code; I'm making you learn how to direct your power."

"Why do you want me to know how to use the Force? Isn't that worry about me becoming stronger than you in the back of your mind?" The reason came to her. "You want to keep track of my progress so you'll know how far I am, isn't it?"

"You need to learn how to control yourself or you will destroy everything and everyone around you, including yourself."

His words stunned her. Was she truly capable of doing such a thing?

Rey took a deep breath. Kylo's power in the Force was so palpable, intimidating really. Just to test how immovable she pushed against him. Like driving a shoulder against a stone mountain, he never wavered in his concentration—his lifted hand never began to tremble as he fought against her.

Realizing that she needed much more concentration, Rey closed her eyes and softly recited the Mantra. Kylo never said anything—either not hearing her or knew what she was doing, so he remained quiet.

Feeling serene and focused enough now, she opened her eyes and pushed against him with all she could muster. His hand shook slightly but his Hold on her remained firm.

"It's not working," she huffed.

"Keep trying. Don't let frustration take ahold. Push back at me, like when I had you in that interrogation chair. You were untrained then, and you still resisted me. Go on your instincts."

She closed her eyes to refocus on what she felt back then. It wasn't anger or frustration, but determination. He wanted to get inside her mind, and she wouldn't let him. Well, now, he had her trapped, and she wanted free.

When she opened her eyes again, she met Kylo's growing grin.

"There you are, Rey. I was wondering if those dirty books had softened your fiery spirit."

She shot him a look of exasperation, then focusing only on wanting to break his Hold, pushed with all she had against him. Her Force knocked Kylo off his feet, throwing him into the wall. The thud echoed loudly.

Rey started toward him, concerned. "Ben! I'm sorry!"

Knocks sounded on her door. "Rey, are you okay?" a male voice asked.

She quickly came up with an excuse. "Yes; I'm just focusing and lost control. Sorry!"

Sensing that they had left, her eyes went back down to Kylo Ren. He used the wall to return to his feet, then looked at her. She expected anger or irritation, but he smiled at her with genuine pleasure reflecting in his eyes.

"Well done. Next time, determine how much Force you will use or I will be making a hole in your room, and your secret will be exposed."

In a blink, Kylo Ren disappeared. He had made it sound like he would be returning to train her further. She wasn't sure how she felt about that, but Master Luke had trained her enough where she could recognize the aspects of the Dark Side, so if Kylo began drifting her teaching that way, she'd know and stop.

Rey turned back to pick up the Sacred Jedi Text she had been reading, feeling proud of herself for successfully besting the dark knight. She fought against a grin but failed.