Chapter 10

It's been four days since Gavin and I had our huge argument. 

It's been four days since he's talked to me. 

It's been four days. I hate it. I want to apologize but, now that I'm sober, I don't know how.

I woke up the next morning, after falling asleep on the raft, with a major headache and with the feeling in my stomach that I might throw up. Jake and Gavin had set up the tent on the shore and slept there, and Holly slept in the raft with me. She was already up, though, sitting around the campfire while Jake cooked up some bacon that he put in the cooler. Gavin, I assumed, was still in the tent. I got up, groaning, and sat by the fire with Jake and Holly. 

"Morning," she said, smiling at me. "How you feelin'?"

"Headache," I said, putting my head in my hands. "Did I finish off that second lemonade?" 

"Yeah. You woke up a while after you fell asleep and were thirsty, so I let you have it since we didn't have any reachable water. You drained it. Sorry, hon," she said, rubbing my shoulders. I shrugged out of it, not wanting to be touched. 

The three of us sat around the campfire for quite some time, with the river flowing and bacon sizzling and the scent wafting around us, mixing with the fresh smell of the forest and river. Just as Jake was putting the bacon onto plates for us, Gavin came out of the tent looking almost as crappy as I felt. He glared at me, and didn't say a word as he took a plate of bacon from Jake and went to go sit on the shore of the river.

"He liked you, didn't he," Holly said, looking at me somewhere between apologetically and angrily. "And... what did you do to him, anyway?" 

I told the whole story, starting with the night that we were washing dishes and finishing with the last part of the previous night that I remembered. "Oh my," Jake said, laughing. "He needs to get over it. You never told him you actually liked him or anything anyway, did you?" 

"I don't know. I mean, I kind of implied it and everything, but I never said it," I said, taking a plate of bacon from my brother and nibbling on a piece.

"Do you like him?" Holly asked, thanking Jake for the bacon. I didn't answer, not wanting to admit that I might.

"She does!" Jake said, laughing again. "That's hilarious. Really. I mean, your stupid little fight wasn't funny, but this is great." 

It wasn't great. It wasn't funny. Gavin still hasn't spoken to me, and it's been four days. He doesn't even really acknowledge me anymore, other than when I ask for food at meals. I've begun hanging out with Holly and Jake a little, but mostly I've been taking walks and writing and reading and drawing. Lots of drawing and walking, especially. 

I think it's better that way. I'll just have to spend the next few weeks doing that. I mean, we've been here for about two weeks now, so I just have four left. I guess I'll just try to spend time with my dad until next week when he leaves (he can only miss three paid weeks a year of work besides on holidays), and then basically hide in a corner and try not to fight too much with my mother. I'm sick of her stupid crap, too, but that's not the main issue on my mind -- I've been sick of her crap for sixteen years.

Right now, Jake, Holly, and I are preparing to make a trip to the closest Walmart (a forty-five minute drive away), with Gavin no where to be seen. Last I saw, he was heading off towards the lake, but that was a couple hours ago (I was sitting a rock near the lake, watching the sunset due to the fact that I woke up at five and couldn't go back to sleep) and none of us have seen him since. Honestly, that's alright -- it saves everyone a lot of awkward moments and probably just keeps everything a lot quieter than it would otherwise be.