Chapter 19

Devon and I eat quickly and are back wandering the hallways of the massive school in no time. The school is buzzing with activity, students running this way and that; frantically trying to make it to class on time. It hadn't really clicked that this was a place of education until just now. I mean, sure I knew in my head that is was a school of magic or whatever, but I guess I didn't really understand what that meant until this morning.

            I stand in the middle of a wide corridor with Devon, observing as kids in uniforms struggle to balance stacks of books as they zip down the halls. I'd attended high school before being sent to the mental institute, but it was never like this. This place is something special. The students at my old school never had this much energy. They'd trudge around in self pity, hating each other and pitying themselves. These students are different. The are alive. I mean, obviously they are alive but they are more alive than any kids I've ever seen. Each and every one of them is surrounded by this faint glow, this soft aura telling me they simply love life. I don't know how I land on that conclusion but at this moment I am absolutely certain of it. In fact, it's like that with the entire school. The whole place just bursting with this crisp, untainted delight. Everything from the floorboards to the chandeliers. I can't help but smile. The idea of a place composed of absolute bliss reminds me of the forest from my dreams. I'd never imagined that I would ever find an actual place like it, and yet it seems I have.

            "Okay, so you have Intro to Plant first, right?" Devon's voice snatches my attention away from my thoughts.

            "Uhh, yeah..." I open my bag and rummage around for my schedule. Devon holds out her hand and I pass it to her.

            "Lets see here..." She unfolds the bright slip of paper and glances down at it. "Room G7-48."

            I stare at her, dumbfounded. "I'm going to need you to give me a little more than 'G7-48." I say dryly.

            She laughs. "Don't worry, I'll walk you there. But for future reference: The center of the school is divided into 8 sections; wings A through H." I think back to yesterday in the main foyer. There were 8 staircases arranged in an octagon. I decide that each probably leads to one of the 8 wings. "The first letter in the room code represents the wing. The first number represents the floor, and the remaining digits are the room number." Devon pauses. "You think you got that."

            I take a moment to process before replying. "Yeah... I'll just follow you for the time being."

            She chuckles. "Fair enough."

            It takes us approximately 15 minutes to find my classroom, we arrive at the door at 8:27. Devon only has 3 minutes to make it to her homeroom.

            "Thanks again." I offer a toothless grin. "Are you sure you won't be late?"

            "Late? Oh honey I am definitely going to be late but at least this time I have a legitimate excuse." She winks at me. "I'll meet you here after class and we'll walk to Air Intro together."

            "Sounds like a plan." I nod, trying to act nonchalant. I have been wondering what classes would be like here from the moment I found out about them. The anticipation has been killing me, and now I am only 3 minutes away from finding out.

            Devon departs for her class and I am left standing alone in the dim hallway. I take a deep breath and push through the hefty wooden door to my new homeroom. The space is much brighter than I had expected. The wall to my right is made of solid glass, allowing the morning sunlight to shine in. Also, the desks are made of a light shiny metal which reflect the light rays off one another and cause them to bounce around the room. If I didn't know any better I'd think I was outside.

            "Welcome!" A chipper voice calls from the front of the room. My gaze flies up to meet my addresser. The woman before me is comparable to a gumdrop. She is short and round but not in an unattractive way, in fact she is actually quite cute. She is an older woman with hair the colour of snow and the complexion to match. She wears an elegant smile and the rosiest cheeks I have ever laid eyes on.

            "Hi - And uh, thanks." I stutter. "I'm Skylar, uh- Skylar Gillyat. I just moved here from Mableton B.C. I think this is my new homeroom."

            "Wonderful!" The woman stands, revealing a multitude of green robes draped over her like a gypsy. "Would you mind bringing your schedule up here so I can confirm?"

            "Oh, yeah... No problem." I pull my crumpled schedule from my pocket and begin squeezing past the rows desks, each belonging to an annoyed student who groans when they have to move. "Here." I hand the slip of paper to the stout gypsy woman when I reach the front of the room.

            She takes it and squints at it briefly before announcing, "Yes, yes! Everything is in order! Wonderful, just wonderful!" She returns the slip to my outstretched hand. "I'm Mrs. Hedgenut by the way. Why don't you choose a seat and we can get started?"

            "Yeah, sure thing." I force a smile. This school may be composed of pure joy and all that, but being the new kid is just as awkward as any other high school.

            I end up squeezing my way back through the crowded classroom to the single empty desk in the far back corner. My struggle is greeted with more groans as the seemingly cheerful students are forced to move. I guess even the happiest kids can get cranky in the morning.

            "Psssst." The hiss comes from my left as soon as I sit down. I turn to see a gangly blonde girl leaning over, extending her hand. Her eyes are a gentle mauve colour and her golden hair is cropped into a short pixie cut. I take her hand and shake it. "I'm Quinn, 15 year old workaholic and occasional psychologist." She recites as if she's said it a million times before.

            "Nice to meet you. I'm Skylar, overly confused 15 year old with very few life goals." I reply, attempting to follow her example.

            "Glad to make your acquaintance." She smiles and lets go of my hand.

            "So, workaholic?" I ask, wondering why someone would admit to something so happily.

            "Completely!" She laughs. "And speaking of which, class is about to start so I'll talk to you after." She turns to face the front of the room without another word and waits patiently with her back straight and hands folded nicely on the desk. She looks like a first grader, eager to start their very first day.

            Jeez, that girl has got to learn to relax. The thought crosses my mind before I can silence it. I actually like the fact that this girl knows who she is and sticks with it. It's refreshing to see someone so confidant with who they are. I decide to respect her values and not speak to her again until she deems appropriate, so I too spin to face the front and wait for Mrs. Hedgenut to begin the lesson.