Chapter 24 - One Of Those People

Weeks later

I always felt a little empty. It hurt. I tried to never think of Alexandra but it never worked. Even though I never saw her since that night, I always have her on my mind. I missed her crooked smile. Her obsession with sweet corn. Liam always kept me on tabs though, he texted me a lot, telling me that she was doing fine. But he always added she was off. That the Alexandra he met at a concert years ago did not exist. I always begged that she never did what she did when we were sixteen. Cut herself. Get depressed. But no one in the entire world knew Alexandra like I did. The way she bit her lip when she tried not to cry. I missed her so much, but I could never go back. I couldn't. That would bring awkwardness.

Nathan arrived at my dorm. He looked really happy. I don't know why though. We haven't really been up to date really, it disappointed me. Nathan was my best friend. And I didn't even know if he was dating or not.

“Devin, I have the best news!” he gushed. Nathan always turned into someone younger when he talked.

“What Nathan?” I asked lazily. I really just wanted to study and mope around about Alexandra.

“Devin, I'm getting married!” he said. I was so surprised. If anyone on the team... Wait. There it is again. The team. Fighting Reality. I missed the anniversary. I didn't even send a text or anything. I feel so guilty. I was the one who put the team together. “Are you alright? You look a little pale,” Nathan said concerned.

“Fine. But who are you getting married to?” I asked. This I really wondered. Nathan never really found anyone who he loved.

“Scarlett,” he said a little embarrassed. I could see it on his face. The way his ears always turned red. Something that was always a tell tale sign that we did something wrong when we were little.

“You and Scarlett?” I scoffed. I was so surprised to be honest. Scarlett and him teased each other all the time when we were younger.

“Yeah,” he said. “And I was wondering, if you could come back to be my best man?” he asked tentatively. “Just a day or two, I promise.”

“Just a day or two.” I agreed. He was my best friend, I couldn't turn down being his best man at his wedding. No matter how much I didn't want to come back. “When are you getting married?”

“Tomorrow.”

“What?!”

“Tomorrow. Scarlett and I are getting married tomorrow.” I sighed. I was just being told this now. I felt to disconnected. I bet I missed a lot.

“Okay. I'm guessing your going to take me back now aren't you?”

“If your ready.” I realized everything then. I don't know what I was doing in this dorm.

“I was ready since I set foot out the door.” It was as true as my love for Alexandra. He grinned, wide showing all his teeth. But I was not ready to see Alexandra. I didn't want to see her and not be loved by her. I guess just some people were not meant to be loved. I'm one of those people.

“You know I was joking right?” he says to me in the car ride.

“About?” I ask very confused.

“That I was getting married.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah, I just had to get a reason to get you back home.”

“Thanks.”

“For?”

“Getting me back.”