29-01-2018

2018, 15 ~ 16  years

Moving to Japan was probably the scariest experience but also the most important one in my whole life

Moving to Japan was probably the scariest experience but also the most important one in my whole life. Only 16 and running away from my problems to become a Maiko is really something only out of a movie.

I had the chance to join the new Maiko recruitment that was happening in Japan, one of the few countries with traditional practices, the new Prince still to be crowned King has decided to bring international Geishas into the country.

I have a teacher that agreed for me to go to Japan to become a Maiko with the only purpose for me to live a peaceful life without all the problems that have been haunting me my whole life.

Today I'll fly to Kyoto, and become a Geisha in learning, also known as Maiko, happy was an understatement at this point.

•••

Per arriving Kyoto I feel like I have been time traveling all along, the city itself has an old feel and the houses and technology are far behind from the rest of the world.

Kyoto was now a city for old people who seek tranquility, tourists, and people who want a simple life with no unnecessary worries. And that was exactly what I was seeking for myself.

The decision to become a Maiko was so that I could have a passion and do something with my time, performing traditional dances, and wear traditional clothing was a dream of mine.

I'm not expecting to be the greatest Geisha or even a good one, all I want is to be quiet and happy with all I have and may receive.

Entering the gates of Kyoto I was instructed to change clothes in a small house and to leave any technology behind, fortunately, I already came with none,

I don't mind not getting in touch with family and friends, I need to focus on my training and that's what I plan to do.

Upon changing into more traditional clothes, the Kimono, I take my suitcase to the Okiya that I was going to stay, I didn't bring much along with me since all I need is going to be in there.

Once I arrived at the Okiya I was greeted by an old lady assuming it was my new Oka-san I bow and present myself.

- Hello, my name is Y/N and I'm the new Maiko from Y/C (your country) nice to meet you.

- Ohh, hello sweet lady, please come this way I'll show you your room. There are 5 Maikos in total including you, you'll be sharing your room with Sumiko, she's 15, the same age as you I'm sure you'll get along, dinner is at 20:00 every day, except when there are special things to do, we wake up at 06:30 every day except Sunday, Sunday we wake up at noon, meals are cooked by me and you clean up always after yourselves. - the old lady was speaking while showing me around, she had a lively personality.

- This is going to be your room, Sumiko went grocery shopping she'll be right back, she chose the bed on the right so you'll have the left one, have fun accommodating yourself, I'll call for dinner.

The lady left me alone in the wooden room with comfortable looking beds, not the ones I  often see in dramas, but normal looking beds. I let myself fall into the bed feeling the soft material in my back and just sit there for some minutes assimilating everything that's happening and will happen.

!DISCLAIMER!
I don't know much about Geisha culture and Japanese tradition but I'll do my best to search things up and if something is wrong or impossible please remember this is just my imagination in very VERY alternative worlds, please don't bash the comments saying hate, just enjoy the story the best way you can thank you.
(Also the photo is from Pinterest, you can think of it as yourself or not)