Chapter 2

Markos took a moment to absorb this revelation. While a part of him knew that he had changed and he felt different from before, another part of him was stubbornly refusing to accept reality. How do you know that I'm a dungeon core? Who are you, anyway?

I am the Dungeon Core Helper and I was born the moment you were reincarnated. Master, I know this is hard to believe but you must find a way to accept your current situation. A dungeon core is extremely rare and valuable and your birth into this world will be noticed. Creatures of this world will seek you out and use you to further their own agendas. You must protect yourself by constructing a dungeon soon!

Upon hearing this warning, Markos' disbelief and confusion turned into fear. While he was still skeptical, he did not want to lose his life if the voice was telling the truth. Yet, he couldn't deny the fact that he lacked a human body. Everything felt too . . . real. Somehow, he felt that the voice was truthful and trustworthy. Thus, Markos decided to go with his gut and believe the helper. How do I build a dungeon?

The first thing you need to do is to complete our bond by giving me a name. This will personalize my program for use by you only.

Markos pondered the response. The helper was really a program? And he was stuck in another world? Yet, the reincarnated entity set aside his questions. There will be ample time for those once the current task was completed. Hmm. You want a name? Are you male or female?

I am genderless. However, you may choose a gender for me as well.

Markos wasn't sure what to pick. The voice sounded young and female. That was why he had originally assumed the voice was a she. He decided to turn this presumption into reality. I name you "Jessica." But I may shorten it to "Jess" whenever it's more convenient to do so.

A message appeared before him: "Confirmed: dungeon core helper has been named 'Jessica.'"

A translucent figure of a young woman appeared before Markos. She had light olive hair in the style of a pixie cut and bright blue eyes. She wore a matching light-olive dress with gold trimmings and one strap over her rather delicate looking left shoulder. Large yellow-orange colored wings which resembled those of dragonflies were attached to her back. She hovered in the air and bowed deeply to Markos. "Master, do I look presentable to you?"

Markos was surprised by the sudden appearance of the young woman, who looked like a faery. Even more surprising was the fact that he felt no apprehension at her appearance or closeness. For some reason, he felt protective of her akin to the way a father felt for his daughter.

"Master?" The faery's pretty face flew closer to his. She waved a hand over his eyes.

Oh, I'm sorry. I was surprised to see you appear so suddenly. Weren't you speaking directly in my mind before?

"Yes, master. The initial state of my program required direct mind-to-mind communication. My voice and my physical form are manifestations of the successful customization of my program to you as my sole user."

Can I take up a physical form like the way you did?

A sad expression appeared on Jessica's face. "I'm sorry, master. You can't create a physical manifestation at this time," she announced.

But I can eventually, right?

The faery nodded. "When you reach Level 5. You will unlock this ability at that time."

That's fine. Good things come to those who wait.

A puzzled expression appeared on the helper's face. She had never heard of this expression before.