PRIDE

Walking to school with my friends is always fun. We laugh and push one another, but we never mean to cause harm. Everyone, and I mean everyone, has been talking about this new boy joining our class. Some say he moved from Virginia, and others say he's from Russia! Nobody can be sure, but we're all sure of one thing. More drama. Hooray.

I arrive at school and sit in my desk, scanning the classroom for anyone who might look unfamiliar to me. As I continue looking for the new kid, three girls strut toward me. One of them taps on my desk with her long, clicky nails, gaining my attention. I smile at them. 

"Hey Trev, how've you been?" The one who tapped on my desk says, I think her name is Becky, but I can't be sure. I grin and start talking about my football game which happened over the weekend. I can tell this isn't the reason they walked over, but the girls nod along anyway. As I finish my story about how a cheerleader's top flew off, another of the three girls clears her throat.

"So, Tre-Tre, how'd you like to come to a movie with us on Saturday?" She says, her smile sickeningly sweet. The three girls bat their eyelashes innocently. I open my mouth to reply, but I am cut off by the bell. The girls sashay away from my desk, giggling and whispering to each other. 

The teacher rises from their desk, beginning the class period with the words every person is familiar with. "Today, class, we have a new student!" The teacher exclaims, clapping their hands together. A boy hesitantly stands from his desk and everyone turns their heads to look at him. He smiles and walks to the front of the classroom. "Hey, I'm Dylan." He grins, waving at us. I can definitely tell that he isn't the sports type. It doesn't matter, though. A potential friend is a potential friend either way. 

My hand shoots into the air before he can continue. The teacher calls on me and I ask the question most of us have been wondering. "Where did you move from?" I say, grinning. Could he be from across the country, across the world, or from the fictional country, Canada?

He smiles at me. "I'm from Ohio." The guy next to me raises his hand. 

"Like Jake Paul?" The boy asks, causing the class to laugh. Dylan nods, grinning. The teacher shakes their head, smiling. 

Questions continue until the teacher stops us to start actual class. Someone coughs and walks by my desk, dropping a piece of paper in front of me. I unfold the paper and read the small note inside. 

"That Dylan guy's pretty cute. Not as cute as Trevor, though.

-Becky"

The note was clearly given to the wrong person. I sigh and fold the paper back into its original shape. I look up to see Becky, wide-eyed and open-mouthed, gaping at me. Obviously, I wasn't supposed to read the paper. I grin and wave the paper at her and stuff it into my pocket. After that, school continues as normal, no weird shenanigans or creepy notes. 

That is, until the end of school. I stood in the hallway, placing my books neatly into my locker. Just as I had finished, the trio of girls, lead by Becky, walked up to me. Becky smiled like nothing had ever happened. "So, Trevor, how about that movie, huh?" She asked, batting her eyelashes. I glanced over her shoulder to see Dylan silently watching me. "Oh, uh, sure. Only if I can invite someone." I said, smiling at Dylan. Becky smirked, snapping her fingers. "Thanks, Tre-Tre. See you then. Let's go girls!" She clicked her tongue, the girls' footsteps echoing in unison as they walked away, swaying their hips with every step they took.

Leaving school and beginning the walk home, Dylan decided to join my friend group. Nobody minded, and he had a lot of fun stories from where he used to live. I arrived at my house and waved goodbye, stepping inside. Finishing my homework, I sat in my room, scrolling through my phone. A text message called my attention away from my game of Candy Crush.