Chapter Ten = No Pants

Chapter Ten

No Pants

Abby dreaded going to the cook. She was well aware that her leg needed attention. It was painfully swollen, and the edges of the cuts were white with saturation of the water, but inside of the welts was an angry red color. The bruise hurt like hell, and she was sure one would be able to see the imprint of the steer's hoof, but the biggest trepidation she held was seeing Ray.

When she reined in her horse and labored to get off, she let out a grunt of pain. She checked Smoky's coat and saw that he also needed attention from the injuries. She washed out and dressed the animal before attending to her own needs.

Slowly, and with dread, Abby approached the wagon. Jedidiah was bent over Ray, washing away the blood from a head wound. He was still unconscious, but other than that, he looked well enough. He could have been merely sleeping. Still, she had a small quiver of fear in her breast for him.

The cook/nurse was so busy at this task that he didn't appear to have heard Abby arrive. Slowly, as to not startle him, Abby walked toward him. She made enough noise to let him know he had company, but not enough to spook the man.

"You need any help?" she finally asked.

"Naw. But I am purty busy rite now, kid."

"Want me to come back?"

"Mite be best. Ya alright?"

"Ya. I got a leg wound, but nothin' that won't wait."

"You got hurt, too?" Jedidiah said, looking up. In one swift glance, he took it all in: the ripped jeans; the big, angry x; and the bruising. "Sit yourn ass down an' wait."

Without a word, Abby did as told. She watched as the man continued to doctor Ray's head and then wrapped a poultice to his injury.

"He gonna be okay?" she finally asked when he seemed to finish his doctoring.

"I think so. I don' like that he ain't awake yet, but he should be kickin' soon. I hate ta be the one ter tell 'em tha' he lost anothern horse."

"Oh, God. Me, too." Her white face made the cook aware of how awful that thought was to her.

As soon as Jedidiah sat down to look at her leg, he said, "No bullshittin'. What happened? Who ya make angry?"

Abby didn't say anything. She gave a slight shrug as an answer.

"Kid? Talk to me."

Finally, she said, "I can't say. It was dark, and who could see?"

"You don' know who laid ya out?"

"It was crazy out there, cookie! Cattle and horns were everywhere ya looked! I can't blame a cowboy if he were aimin' at a steer, and I got in the way."

Jedidiah studied Abby with an intensity that made her uncomfortable.

At last he said, "Well, I mite believe that if'n it jus happened once, but... twice? I cain't say that I believe this was a accident. He mus have ya runnin' scared or ya really like 'em fer ya ter keep quiet. Ole' Joe'd have 'em fired afore ya could say scram! Now, take off yourn jeans."

"Uh... what?"

"I cain't properly medicate and treat yer injuries if'n you don' take 'em off, kid."

"I don't really need medicine, Jedidiah."

"Bullshit. Stop being so damn bashful and take 'em off. Now, kid! I'm tired, and I still gotta cook breakfast. Asides from that, I need ter rest."