Chapter Two

When Louisa awoke, her first instinct was jump up and evaluate where she was and how much danger she was in. This plan didn't exactly work out though, as she was groggy and dizzy and all her limbs felt like jello. In fact, it took her about two more "wake-ups" before she could open her eyes without experiencing an agonizing headache, and three more "wake-ups" after that until she could sit up without wanting to vomit.

When Louisa was finally able function without danger of extreme pain or throwing up, she got a look around. She was in a small room, with a mirror on the wall across from her. To her right was a toilet with a pulled back curtain surrounding it. A gray door was farther down the wall her bed aligned too, and a small bedside table was stationed next to her. A very old book of Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales was sitting on top of it. The whole room was white, including the bed Louisa was seated on. She was even dressed in a white hospital gown. 

The only possible ways in and out of her room was of course the door and a vent that was directly above her. She knew logically that the vent wouldn't be an option. It would be pitch black, tiny and probably not strong enough to hold her up. That left the door. She took a deep breath and stood from the bed on wobbly legs. She felt like the baby horse she'd once seen in a documentary. Slowly, she took another step and another. Nausea was crashing over her in waves and she had to sit down. The room was spinning and her head was pounding again. Yet, she was still relatively calm and unbothered. 

The door swung open and she looked up at none other than Captain America. She should be afraid, she should be running towards the open door. But she wasn't and she didn't. Something was very off with her. They had drugged her for sure.

"What did you drug me with? Why aren't I feeling the way I should be?"

The Captain knelt down in front of her. "I'm sorry, I can't tell you what they drugged you with."

"Why can't I know that?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. It's not a matter of classified knowledge, it's simply that Tony and Bruce don't really tell me what goes on in the lab." He smiled at her, looking for forgiveness.

Louisa didn't smile back. She didn't think she could if she wanted to. Everything was bland. She couldn't feel anything other than neutral.

"How long until the drugs wear off?"

"That is also something I've not been informed of."

"Do they even tell you anything? Are you still just a propaganda caricature or do you actually do stuff?" She knew this was a rude and unwise thing to comment on, but she couldn't help herself. 

Captain America looked taken aback. "I haven't been used as propaganda for seventy years."

"I don't think that's true. I think all the Avengers are still propaganda. It's just that none of you want to acknowledge it." 

The Captain cocked his head. "How old are you?"

"Ten and a half."

"You're quite the kid, aren't you Louisa? Can I call you Louisa?"

"Yeah, I guess. What do I call you though?"

"Depends. I get called a lot of different things. "

"Like what?"

" Well, my name is Steve Rogers. So naturally I get called Steve as well as Rodgers. Captain or 'Cap is also a popular choice among some." He explained patiently.

"Oh come on buddy, we all know your best name by far is Spangles." A voice came from behind Steve Rodgers. Louisa tried to snap her attention to the door, but her reflexes still felt slow.