Tension

Ryders chest heaves up and down into mine pushing up against my breast. We both freeze after hearing my name being called. I put my hands on his solid sculpted chest that I could feel perfectly from his sweatshirt, he smelled of sweet whiskey with notes of musky vanilla. From that alone I could tell that cologne cost at least half of my rent. I pressed on his chest again signaling wanting to get up while I sat up a bit.

His eyes bore into mine, the intensity of his gaze making my breath catch in my throat while he didn't move an inch. He was staring at me so hard that I started to wonder if there was something on my face. "Ry-"  He cuts me off by leaning down on me forcing us back to the ground except even closer this time.

"Where are you going." He asks me, his big green eyes displaying a hint of longing in them. As much as I wanted to melt in his presence the fear of losing my job was too powerful to savor the moment. "I'm sorry I have to go now, my managers coming." I tell him as I gently take his hand off of mine. He stares at me looking somewhat disappointed that I was leaving. That made two of us.

I run to my manager to stop her from getting closer. "Yeah Gina?" I approach her. "Why are these balls not picked up yet?" She assays sternly. "Well," I pause for a moment racking my mind for a worthy excuse. "Well? Well it's been an hour Kimberly!" She informs me. All I can do is look away and take the blame. Wait an hour? I couldn't believe Ryder and I had been messing around for so long it felt like just 10 minutes. "Listen if this job is too much for you then-"

"There you are!" Ryder comes up the hill from behind my manager. We both turn to him. "I just wanted to come and thank you for helping me look for my keys." He pretends as he pulls out his keychain. "Found em."

"Well I'm glad she could assist you Mr. Howlin." My manager says to him looking a bit embarrassed. I decide to stay quiet because the best lies are the simplest ones, plus Ryder seems to have had this whole act down already. "Yeah actually would you mind walking me to my car? You know it's just I'd hate to lose these again, you know how long it takes to order a spare Maybach key."

"Of course." My manager happily compliant scurries off to his side to walk him. As soon as they left I began to finally pick up the golf balls off of the course.

As I got them I couldn't help but think of him. The wealthy guys I knew would never stick their necks out for anyone unless it benefited them. So why did he help me? Did he feel bad for me, or maybe did he like me? No he was probably just being nice. I mean after all we just met formally for the first time there was no way he could possibly like me already. Either way the next time I saw him I'd thank him.

3 Days Later....

As I waited for Blade, the dining hall bustled with the sound of chatter and the clinking of silverware. I tried to keep myself occupied on my phone, but my mind kept drifting back to the night I spent with Ryder on the golf course.

The way he held me, the way his eyes followed me, and the way our laughter engulfed us. Did I like him? I quickly tried to get my mind off the thought or even the possibility of that. There was no way a guy like Ryder actually liked me. It was probably just his way of having fun that night. He probably already forgot my name and everything that happened that night. But we almost kissed? Could he have possibly forgotten? I shook the thought. It had been 3 days, I hadn't seen him since, yet he was all I could think about. I had to stop though because it was never going to happen.

"Is this spot taken?" A male voice said to me. Assuming it's Blade because I was so caught up in my thoughts I respond. "Go ahead." Someone with a very expensive yet familiar smell sits down right beside me to the point that our bodies are touching. I glance over to see who it is when it's none other than Ryder. "Ryder? What are you doing here?" I ask him a bit confused. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't the slightest bit happy to see him. "Um, I go to school here?" He says to me matter of factly. "The real question is why you're here by yourself." He teases me.