16 - I Survived My Trip To NYC

It was unavoidable

It was unavoidable. Peter Parker was everywhere. From getting the mail, to classes in school.

Peter Parker was a part of Ezra's solar system, and she hated it. School hadn't been any better either, kids were relentless.

Ezra was now an artifact that people liked to gawk over. Even teachers participated in such childish behavior.

It was on a plain Tuesday, when Ezra realized something was wrong. Though she had the comfort of math equations and formulas filling her brain, everything seemed off. She had gone the day without seeing Peter, and with the company of Ned and Michelle, defending her to their best ability, she didn't give it much notice.

That was until lunch. Peter sat down quietly, refusing to make eye contact with anyone. Michelle, Ned and even Ezra stared at him.

"What?" He questioned quietly, peeling an orange peel.

"Where have you been?" Michelle stated, not allowing it to even become a question.

Peter shrugged, "around."

"Peter Parker, I hope just because you got detention, doesn't mean you're skipping classes. You're better than that."

"I'm just . . . Laying low."

"Laying low?" Ezra blurted, sounding very judgmental, which was appropriate.

Peter glared at the sorceress, feeling an odd sense of resentment. Ezra mimicked his actions, until Peter looked away.

In the corner of Ezra's eye, she felt the slightest feeling of someone watching her. Allowing herself to take a peek, the slightest gasp erupted from her mouth.

"Ezra?" Michelle shook her shoulder, reverting her gaze back to her slender friend.

"Yeah?"

"You okay?"

No. Ezra could've sworn she caught a slight glimpse of her father standing in the hallway. Her dead father. But that was impossible, he was six feet underground, in a coffin. It was probably the lack of sleep she'd been getting.

"Yeah, I-I thought I just saw someone from my old school. It was nothing."

"Okay . . ."

Ezra collected her things quickly, now uncomfortable with the thought of her dead father roaming her brain. "I should go, I've got AP Chem review."

"What? There's no AP Chem review today." Michelle questioned, and just as fast as she questioned, Ezra was half way through the cafeteria.

***

Entering her apartment, Ezra got a phone call.

Unknown number