Chapter 2

Stood before me is a pathetic entourage of only four people, but my heart warms seeing each of their faces.

My Alpha and Luna, Noah and Tikka, stand hand in hand with a look of sympathy on their faces as they glance between my parents and I.

Alpha Noah, our pack and community leader, is a tall man in his early forties. He's a full head taller than his mate, meaning right now as he holds her to him he is resting his chin on her braids. His face is shaped by a trimmed goatee and slightly greying moustache. But despite his age, his skin is a deep brown so smooth I'm tempted to ask for skin care tips. I don't, of course. Partly because my throats too clogged with emotions to talk, and partly because my 'uncle' - a title of endearment rather than relation - intimidates me a little.

With his position of almost absolute power comes a toughness I can't even attempt to fathom. He seems to radiate his strength wherever he goes and I'll admit, even though it should calm me to have such a dependable alpha, my wolf is often on edge. As it is, I avoid going to the Alpha for most advice, instead preferring to speak to his less physically intimidating mate.

Luna Tikka is a slightly plump women with ebony skin and thick black and red braids always twisted into a bun. I'm not surprised to see her in a long orange skirt and a bright dashiki, despite the fact that such an outfit would usually install a sense of confusion with its overwhelming patterns and colour. She's obsessed with colourful wardrobes, often sporting splashes of orange and red in her outfits despite the standard grey our pack respects.

It would be a problem for any other member of the pack, but even the elders - the wolves promoted to a position of power by Alphas present and past for their knowledge and upholding of pack law - accept her quirks. She's our luna, our female leader, and as such her role is to bring life to the pack however she sees fit - and boy does she perform her role well. Despite her busy life as Luna, she is involved with the entire community of Oakwood - human and wolf. There isn't a pack meal she hasn't aided with, or an Oakwood school event she hasn't governed. I think that natural connectivity makes her feel closer to me than Alpha Noah, despite the fact Noah is my moonfather. She looks as depressed as my mum right now.

My mother, Rochelle Reed, has tears in her eyes, the soft features of her face crumbling like dried sand. My father, Clayton Reed, looks as strong as ever.He always looks strong. It's a side effect of being the alpha's right hand man and having to help manage the pack on a day-to-day basis. But his body is a little to tense, the thick muscles of his arm bulging sporadically like he's ten seconds away from lashing out.

To say he's one of the most uptight Beta's around, he never was good at controlling his emotions around family.

"Ebony, are you sure about this?" My mum asks as I reach for her, wrapping me in a suffocating hug. "This is a big move, don't you think it would be easier to just try a little harder to make friends here."

Try harder?

I flinch back at her words. Unknowingly, my hand tightens on my suitcase - a physical reaction to the hurt her suggestion that somehow I'm the problem. I've tried to make friends so many times, only to be rejected by the kids here time and time again.

In year six I used to run around with the other girls, talking about crushes on boys and the cutest way to plait hair. I used to make jokes about being a lone wolf, but have a crowd of a dozen friends to keep me busy. I used to be accepted, and loved by my pack-mates as much as I loved them. Then puberty hit and... Well, let's just say the arrival of my wolf stopped all playful conversation.

No matter how hard I try to fit in, I don't mesh with the other girls. And the boys when not intimidated by me, seem to wish I was anywhere else but near them.

Maybe it's because my wolf is too dominant to allow them to let down their guard around me, or maybe it's because with every day I was treated like a recluse, I became one. Either or, I don't have a single person my age that I could genuinely call a friend. Sure, there's the odd kid who will put up with me for a bit to get in the good graces of my parents, but I can barely count on them to say hi to me in the hallway.

I'm leaving today, and besides the adults in my life, not a single person will miss me. "I have tried, Mum." I sniffle, wrapping my arms around her slim frame. Nuzzling into her thin grey shirt, I inhale the scent of home and love and acceptance. The smell of the forest air is entwined with her natural scent, and I breathe in the contrasting smells of wet soil and summer warmth as I embrace my number one supporter. "This is something I really want to do."

A couple months ago, I'd applied for a dual transfer. I wanted to go to a new school and live through new experiences. The school I'd chosen was one that had all the opportunities I'd always dreamt of trying out: art, drama, psychology, sociology... Whilst I'd only pick a few for my actual classes, the thought of sampling areas as an extracurricular was thrilling.

Everything was perfect, except for the fact it was a seven hour drive from my current home in a wholly different pack. The MiddleEast pack. Which meant I was leaving my current pack, the Oakwood pack, behind.

A/N

So, here's chapter two!

How do you guys feel about it so far? What's your take on the descriptions of characters and who's your favourite?

Do you think Ebony should be moving or try harder to fit in where she is? Should her parents be letting her go or is seventeen old enough to make your own decisions on schooling?

Likes? Dislikes? Suggestions? If you didn't like it please help a girl out and dish me some critiques.