escape

Buzz... Buzz... Buzz...

Beth's stomach dropped as she looked down at her phone, swallowing thickly as the texts kept rolling in. Had he found out? Was everything ruined because of a stupid mistake Beth didn't pay attention to? She felt a hot flash wash over her before she became clammy and sweaty. She kept her bookbag beside her as she sat in the stuffed chair in the university library. Her hands shook as she answered the phone, walking out into the heavy humid air after the wall of air conditioning had left her behind.

"Have you left for home yet?" the voice barked from the other side of the phone and Beth's chest stopped rising with her breaths as she tried to think of what to say.

"No... My lab ran long so I missed my bus. I'm heading home now," she told the voice as she crossed the street, glancing over her shoulder as she did so. The brunette would have to get used to always looking over her shoulder soon.

"Don't be so fucking stupid next time," he snapped at her from the other side and Beth felt herself shrink into herself.

"I'm sorry," she said quietly as she crossed another street," are you at home?" she asked after a moment. She prayed to Odin, God, Zeus; Anyone that may help her that the apartment was empty when she got there.

"No," the voice said curtly from the other side," I'm going to be late but I expect you to be up when I get home. You need to learn a few lessons for ignoring my texts and not being home yet."

Beth swallowed thickly, she couldn't give herself away yet," of course, I know I screwed up... I'll be home soon and I'll have dinner hot and ready for you," she felt a lump growing in the back of her throat," I love you," she told him," and I'll let you go now. I'll call you when I get home," she offered to get him off of her back.

"Fucking better," the line clicked when the other side hung up. Beth let out a shudder as she hurried home, catching the next bus.

Beth slipped her student ID and bus pass into her back pocket after unlocking the apartment and flinching on instinct in case a bottle came flying at her head. Her mouth lets a sigh of relief escape as she entered unscathed. She only had God knows how many minutes to get her things together and to leave before he checked in on her again.

She reached behind the stove and grabbed her papers, her birth certificate and anything else she may need to start a new life. She shoved them into her bag in the bedroom and made sure nothing was out of place as she shut the door behind herself. She pulled her dark curls up out of her face as she grabbed the food from the fridge, the food that wouldn't spoil right away and shoved those in her bag as well. The little voice in her head telling her to move faster, get out of the apartment five minutes ago.

Beth had already sent herself anything that she may need from her phone, she wasn't going to him tracking her down by an app. She grabbed her phone and left the apartment with her backpack and duffel bag.

She walked down the street and into the parking garage where the old beat up pickup, that may be very well older than she is, was waiting to drive her away. She threw her bag in the passenger seat and found the keys in the visor. She said a prayer as she stared the vehicle, hearing it rumble to life as she drove out of the town for seemingly good.