Chapter One: Never Seen You in These PartsUntitled part

Austin cracked open a cold beer on his porch as he watched the glittering stars above. It was mighty lonely out here sometimes, but he loved every second of it. Iverson had asked him to do some solar research out here for a project a while back, and he gave more than enough data. But now he was done with all that stuff and he was happy to kick up his feet and take care of his garden out back. His shack was small and run down, but he had practically rebuilt it so it wouldn't leak or creak. It now stayed warm in the cold and cool in the heat so it was enough of a home for him. Iverson still sent royalty checks since apparently he helped a boatload and all, but he didn't really need the money since his life was so well built now.

Austin sighed as he placed his can down on the ground by his heavy hiking boots and watched the shimmering sky. He smiled when he saw a little spark of light shoot across it's black expanse.

"Might as well make a wish." He quietly chuckled to himself. "I wish I had someone to share nights like this with." And with that, he raised his beer to the sky in a silent vow and headed back inside for the night.

It was a loud booming sound that echoed for miles that woke him in the middle of the night. Austin sat up with a start and grabbed his shotgun from the side of his bed. He rose to his feet and started to slowly approach the door.

"The hell?" He said aloud as the pulsating glow from outside began to dim to a more gentle purple color. As Austin neared the door, he could hear the faint crackle of a radio and the voice coming from it. He tentatively reached out for the handle and swung it open, revealing a small fighter class ship made of nothing he'd seen on Earth and the pilot turned back facing him as they talked into the radio.

"I landed by this primitive shelter. This planet has practically no defenses. Finding the lion should be fairly simple as nothing has seemed hostile." The stranger took no notice of Austin behind them. What did they mean by that? Where they from outside the solar system or something? He wondered whether or not to move forwards, but then the figure stiffened and dropped the radio. Austin knew he must have been found out, but instead the figure whipped out a knife and threw it out at a scorpion in the sand with a satisfying crack as the blade split the shell. Austin risked a step towards them, his curiosity getting the better of him. The plank beneath him creaked under his weight, and the stranger stood from where they had crouched to pick up the dead scorpion and he saw their face for the first time as they swiftly ran at him and pinned him to the ground, knife now a full sword and aimed at his neck.

"Who are you?" They snarled, purple stripes old in the light from his home.

"Hey now! I'm just the poor sod who lives here! I should be asking who you are!" Austin laughed, flipping himself over, surprising the alien. "The name's Austin, Austin Kogane. You?"

"Not important. I have a mission here and as long as you stay out of my way," She hissed, sword inches from his face, "We should get along fine."

"Alright ma'am I'll stay outta yer way as long as you answer my questions too." Austin smiled.

She rolled her eyes and shoved past him into his house.

"Hey! You can't just-"

She turned on him, her height making her more threatening.

"I need a place to stay while I search for the blue lion."

"Well, I'd be happy to help, I know this place better than you and I have an extra bed anyways." Austin scratched his stubble and uprighted his rifle by the door.

"You live in a very, primitive era." She commented, poking around his kitchen.

"Most people have much better stuff than me, I just like livin' simple." He grinned as his new house guest continued questioning everything in the fridge.