𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭: pure flash!fiction

The medallion, if interacted-- with or without magic-- will explode

That's the thought that ran through Henry's mind as he stood adjacent from his family. His family that he loves so much.

His family that will have to live on without him.

It was another villain that made him come to this conclusion and honestly, who else could have?

His mother, Regina, was trying to threaten the villain. Emma, his mother also, was ready to strike. Two of them stood side-by-side like winged angels made of stone. His heavenly protectors.

All Henry wanted to be was a hero. He had enough of reading stories about them, now he wants to be one.

In his mind, heroes are like what he reads in comics. Heroic figures that disguise their identity and fight for the greater good.

In the storybook, however, heroes were painted very differently.

They had weaknesses that were easy to poke. They didn't wear masks or capes, but rather a sheriff badge and a hook for a hand.

Although magic is part of Henry's life, he isn't blessed with abilities. His mother tried to teach him once, but that was when he thought she was the villain.

But she's not. Regina is the hero.

Henry wants to be the hero, too. He thought this could be done by brandishing a sword or kissing the fair maiden awake from her sleeping curse.

Instead, he realizes now that it's done by sacrifice.

Regina sacrificed having children. Emma sacrificed relationships. Killian sacrificed being part of a family.

Now, Henry can sacrifice something too.

The villain tugs Henry from his spot to stand in front of them; using him as a shield. The villain knows that Henry's family would never risk putting his life in danger.

And that's true.

As soon as Henry is in front of the villain, Regina distinguishes the fireball in her palm. Emma stiffens for a moment, then returns her glare to the person holding her son as a shield.

Just by looking at them, Henry can tell what they're all thinking.

Killian wants to hold Emma back. David wants to put as much distance between Henry and the villain as possible. And both Emma and Regina want to kill the villain.

But you can't. The two of you have worked so hard for your happy endings. You've worked too hard to get rid of the darkness.

I'm not worth it.

Henry wants to tell them he loves them. They know-- of course they already know-- but he wants to say the words anyway.

Instead, he pushes himself against the villain behind him and grasps the medallion around his neck.

It'll explode. And that's what he wants.

As soon as his fingers tug the medallion off of his neck, it vibrates and heats up like a microwave.

The light envelops Henry and the villain, and the ground shakes as the explosion rips the air in two.

It all happens so fast.

And yet the medallion still remains.