Chapter Nineteen

"Hey Eve, wanna go in the lifeguard challenge?" Hoppo asks "I'm not a lifeguard" I say as you have to be a lifeguard to be in the lifeguard challenge "Yeah, but you're the longest ever serving trainee we've had here" Hoppo says and smile to have that title but its also probably the worst title you could receive at beach "And it would be nice to put you pup against the boys. Give 'em something to worry about" Hoppo says "Sure. But if anyone gets pissed that I'm in it, you're taking the blame" I say "Deal!" Hoppo says and he slaps my hand and pulls me into a hug. "Two weeks, Eve. Two weeks" Hoppo says and I catch the bus home.

"Wanna take a break? Go for a walk? Grab something to eat, maybe" Jack asks after two hours and half hours of doing homework and assessments "Yeah," I say and we head for the streets for something to eat. We head into the fish and chips store and grab some chips for dinner. "How exactly did you become world number three surfer at sixteen!" Jack asked "I don't know! Just that good" I say "Wanna go back now?" I ask "Yeah. Sure" Jack says and we chuck our packages in the bin and head home.

"This way's quicker," Jack said as we pass a side alleyway "Jack, I know the way back to my own house," I say "Trust me, Eve. Many things have changed since you came back" Jack says and drags me down the dark alleyway "I came back six months ago!" I say pulling away and walking back to the street "Come on scaredy cat" He says and drags me again into the alley. I lock my fingers with his and held onto his bicep as well because I'm terrified "Jack...can we turn around?" I ask as there's a group of figure's up ahead "Don't worry, baby. We'll be fine" Jack says as he drags me along.

We approach the group and I low my head while Jack keeps his head high "Well, well, well, what do we have here? Pretty young thing?" One says as he strokes the side of my face, I flinch away from him trying to keep my grip on Jack as he's trying to escape. After struggling with me, Jack gets his arm and hand back and runs away leaving me with this group of men in the middle of this dark ass alleyway that he wanted to go down "Jack! Jack!" I call but he was gone "Pretty sh*t boyfriend you got their missy. I can change that" He says rubbing his fingertips down my arm "I'm good thanks" I say and try to walk away but he places his arm on the wall behind me preventing me from leaving.

"Where do you think you're going, missy?" He says stroking my cheek "With me. Leave her alone" Someone says, but I don't recognise it since I'm so scared "And who do you think you are?" The guy asks "Doesn't matter. But she's going home with me and not you" He says and another goes from behind him "Step away from the girl. She's off limits" I recognise its Jesse's voice as he walked towards me and the other person who came with him, came over to me and took me away to a waiting car. "Eve. Eve!" He says holding me in the back of this car, I look up at him, to see if I knew my hero but he's wearing a hood but that doesn't matter anymore. I cuddled into the guy's chest, taking in his scent and I recognise the scent and look up. He pushes his hoodie down to reveals his face. "Jake! Holy sh*t! I've never been happier to see you" I say hugging him as Jesse got in the drives seat and started the car up and drove away from the alleyway.

"What were you doing down there Eve? At seven at night!" Jesse asks "Jack and I were having dinner at the fish and chip place and he suggested that we come down there for a shortcut, I didn't want to but he dragged me and we got closer to those guys and he runs, leaving me then you come along" I say still in Jake's embrace "What a d*ck" Jake says and I agree "So are you and Jack a thing?" Jesse asks "Yeah. Well, we were but not after ditching me" I say and Jesse pulls up to my house "Thanks for getting rid of the guys back there" I say getting out of the car and walking into the house where Dad was yelling at Jack.

"How dare you f*cking leave her there! Who knows where she is now?! Who knows what they are doing to her right now?!" Dad yells "Eve! Thank God, you're here! You're dad's going mental! He's been yelling and screaming and giving me a go!" Jack comes to me and grabs my arm. I snatch my arm away "You deserve it, you jacka*s! You f*cking left me there with those scary a*s men!" I push him against the chest "Get the f*ck out of my house now! I'll give you your sh*t tomorrow at school!" I demand and Jack leaves without any word.

"You okay, E?" Dad asks rubbing my back "Yeah, I'm fine" I say "I just want to go to bed and forget about today" I say and walk upstairs "Night Evie!" Dad calls and I change into my pj's and go to bed.

The next day, I pack Jack's bag and head for school with both bags. I put my bag in my locker and start walking to Jack's locker to give him his bag. His locker is surrounded by his mates and Jack is telling the tale of last night. "These three guys came out and Eve was scared like cuddled up to me and I say 'Look, guys, she's mine. Go find your own chick' and they back off" Jack lies and receives an applause from his mates "Bullsh*t! You wish that's what happened" I say and his mates move and I make my way to Jack "You were more scared then I was! You f*cking left me there and ran!" I say and his friends turn on him "Here's your sh*t. Don't tell any more tales about how you were the hero when really you were a little p*ssy!" I say and shove his bag at him and walk through the crowd of his mates and walk away.