Apathy

One death was enough.

It is. But the Fates and Aphrodite must've got into some stupid John Green novels and decided they needed more misery.

The Achilles Curse rejected Jason but not Hazel. Frank was found with an arrow impaled in his stomach. It would answer Frank's abnormal behavior when they were on the run.

Now only Annabeth, Hazel and Piper were alive. And the war above won't stop because of their losses. The world will keep spinning. The universe doesn't revolve around them.

"I'll be holding them in soon," Charon gruffed as the girls climbed aboard. "Eh, it'll take a decade or so. They'll have special tickets. Demigods. Always have it easy."

They didn't bother to answer.

Compared to the loud atmosphere when they arrived, the situation now sounded like a graveyard. Only the distant echoes of the souls of the Fields of Asphodel filled the silent air.

When the boat finally arrived at their starting point, the dead souls stirred up a protest on coming back.

They didn't care either. They just walked to the exit and left.

"Anyone who doesn't sit down waits another century!" Charon barked.

It was snowing outside. Hazel felt a snowflake fall on her nose delicately, like it was here to comfort her despite the dangers of melting. Instantly the grief vanished, because she knew she had to move on someday.

She had moved on from her past seventy years ago. She had moved on from the death of her mother and the shadow of Gaia. She wouldn't let this one break her. Not today, not ever. That was what Gaia would want.

"There's our ride," Piper said calmly.

It was like some God had dispersed their grief at once. Soon they were recalling funny moments from their lives with their boyfriends and laughing and tearing up, but never once cried.

They had to move on.

Everyone had to.

And someday they will reunite with them.

Just not now.

Because they had a responsibility.

* * *

"You're back," Rachel greeted them. "Where's... Jason and Frank?"

"They're gone." Despite all that, it was still a little painful to accept reality. "But we'll see them again. In the future."

Annabeth and Piper nodded at her words. Rachel looked like she wanted to cry, but she kept it together seeing that they were taking it surprisingly well.

"So did you see Percy?" Rachel asked.

Annabeth's face darkened. "He's not fighting with us."

"WHAT?"

Piper patted Rachel's shoulder. "It's fine. He doesn't need more stress than he already does. Besides, whatever Gaia's doing to his body... he can feel it."

Rachel blinked in confusion.

"Gaia's controlling his body which means his body isn't entirely dead and it's technically still linked to his soul and that means if we stab his body or whatever he's going to feel it for eternity."

Rachel looked thoroughly confused.

"The point is that we need a way to purge Gaia out of his body," Annabeth interjected. "Reyna's in danger because she knows Gaia's secret. Wait, how did you know about Gaia and Percy?"

"I'm the Oracle," Rachel supplied.

"Fair enough," Hazel said. "Speaking of Oracles, the prophecy!"

Annabeth nodded. "Bonds among brothers shall shatter in song. Brothers means Frank, Jason and Percy's 'brotherhood,' and song means war song."

"The sun and death partake its test," Piper chanted. "This line is still unclear. Nightingale's cry is drowned among. Same with this one."

"The jewel, dove and owl find peace in the midst," Hazel remembered. "It's us moving on to fight this war."

Rachel shrugged. "Guess we'll find out."

"I apprieciate your reunion," Sherman Yang said, cutting between them, "but we still have a war to fight."

* * *

Hazel didn't like the war preparations. Neither did any of them. Everyone is scared, frightened and always on their toes. One little insult for fun could trigger an all-out fight. (Unless it's the Ares cabin - it's perfectly normal for their little predicaments.)

"This is not going to end well for any of us." Connor helped his cabin mates to strap armour and traps with Nyssa and Harley. "We got a lucky break last time. Ain't no statue is stopping this war and Will's whistle is gone with him."

Harley turned to an Apollo camper. "Can any of you do that?"

The Apollo camper glared back. "I'm an archer. Not a dog-whistler."

"Hey now, don't start a fight," Nyssa chided. "Save it for the Romans."

She noticed Hazel walking past. "Oh. No offense, Hazel."

Hazel nodded listlessly and trudged ahead to the strawberry fields. Dryads were strapping armour on and satyrs practiced their chords. No one seemed to be slacking off, and Grover was leading them, since he was the only active Lord of the Wild at the moment.

"Hazel!" Hazel turned to see a scrawny boy with dark curly hair. "I heard about your quest. Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want to worry you," she said. "It's over now. We can't change the past. How's things with Calypso?"

Leo grinned, but it was so tight his face might tear in half. "She's worried about the war. She can do magic again and she's leading the Hecate cabin on magic lessons. I was in Bunker 9 giving Festus some upgrades and you know me - when I'm building, I build."

Hazel chuckled lightly. After all that's happened, it's heartwarming to see Leo. They didn't think Leo would survive and the rest of the boys did. In reality, it was Leo that triumphed the Fates and had a girl by his side.

"Well don't skip any meals." Hazel crossed her arms. "And get back to your girl. She might get jealous!"

Leo laughed a little and patted her on the shoulder. "I will. And Calypso isn't the jealous type, I think. Never tried because no other girl liked me."

"I like you."

"As a friend," Leo joked. "All my life I've been friendzoned and bro-zoned by girls I meet. Some just straight up insult me in my face."

Hazel laughed too. "You know, I heard that Percy was scrawny before he hit puberty."

"Uh nah!"

"Hell yes."

Leo laughed again and nodded at her. He bid her farewell and jogged back to Calypso, who was taking up residence with their Oracle Rachel Dare.

When his silhouette disappeared among the setting sun, Hazel was by herself, but she didn't feel alone.

Because she had friends to help her in life. And she helped her friends through their lives as a demigod.

Life alone as a demigod is challenging and the odds posed deathly stakes. But when you have allies, friends, family - you are unstoppable. (Unless you had too much Cheese & Whiz from the meeting and had tummy issues.)

Just as she was about to turn back to the Hades cabin, a presence alerted her from behind her.

"War is approaching."