May 10th

Jughead's POV

2:56 pm

I had to face it; Betty Cooper is most likely never coming back to Riverdale. It's been almost two months of no one getting in contact with her, minus the 'Safe' text she sent me a month ago. If she really was safe, why hasn't she tried getting in touch with anyone?

I don't know, but it killed me to think that Betty left permanently. "Jughead, believe me, this makes me wanna slit my wrists, too. But the only thing left to do is accept it," Archie said, reaching his arm out in support from his spot on the sofa chair in my living room.

"People," I interrupted myself for search of better words. "Her own family buried an empty casket last week because they lost hope. They gave up on Betty. Now you two are, too? Now I'm supposed to?" I asked, my voice raising at the end.

"We don't want you to 'give up,' and we sure as hell aren't. We just don't want you to be...helplessly obsessed over her," Veronica spoke up, seated in the chair next to Archie.

"Unbelievable. Betty is the love of my life. I won't stop loving her until the day I die," I said, starting to tear up. Before anyone could respond, there were light knocks on the trailer door.

I struggled to unlock the door before my whole world came crashing down.

"Juggie..."

Without a second thought, I embraced Betty in a hug, tears pouring out of both our eyes as I felt something between us. "I love you," she cried, hugging me tighter.

Only this time, she didn't disappear.

I turned my head to face Betty and began kissing her cheek all over, which lead to her lips. I found a familiar scent on her jacket; the cologne I lost.

When we disbanded, after what felt like forever, I looked at her to see her stomach, where I thought I felt something between our embrace, and saw she had a small bump.

Betts took my hand and placed it on her stomach looking at me with a proud, yet fearful smile as she told me, "They're yours."

"Oh my God, B, you're back! A-and pregnant! With a..." Veronica's voice trailed as she and Betty hugged tightly, swaying a bit. "Twins," Betty chuckled through her tears. "A boy and a girl."

Once everyone was down hugging Betty and touching her stomach, we headed to my couch as Betty sat beside me with me not letting go of her hand. "Betts..." I paused, tears rising as my other hand went to her stomach.

"Is this...are the twins...the reason you left?" I asked. Betty's smile faded as the mood was brought down. "When I found out about them..." She put her hand over mine and moved over to look at me.

"I was scared. I didn't know if I was ready, if you wanted them or were ready, yourself. I thought I might be too busy for you two," she explained, motioning to Archie and Veronica.

"I didn't think my mom would deem me a 'fit mother.' I was just...scared." I saw a few tears slip through Betty's green eyes, so I swiped them away and pulled her into my chest, Arch and Ronnie coming over to form a group hug.

"Oh my God, what are we doing? We have to go see your parents! And Polly's back, too!" Veronica exclaimed, causing us to disband and head for the door.

---

That night, Betty came to sleep with me in the trailer. She sprayed herself with her perfume, I sprayed myself with my cologne. We cuddled up in the dark, but my insomnia wouldn't let me close my eyes, even with Betty in my arms.

Noticing this, Betty looked up at me, saying, "It's okay, Juggie. I'm here. And I'm staying."

And that was a promise she kept forever.