Bonus Ch.

edited 

When I woke up the next morning, I was extremely exhausted. It was like I only got two hours of sleep. But the sun was up, surely I got at least 7... right? I sluggishly rolled off of my bed, unable to sleep any longer because of the sun coming through the permanently open window.

I yawned and grabbed the bag, putting the water in the little mesh part on the side. I opened up a granola bar and bit into it. It tasted like trash, but I was hungry and had nothing else at my disposal.

I shoved the compass into my back pocket, I might need it.I don't know this forest very well, and I sure as hell don't want to get lost out there. I opened the door and the smell of morning dew and crisp pine hit me immediately. It smelled good. I put the granola bar into my mouth and climbed down the ladder carefully.

I simultaneously took the bar out of my mouth while also getting the compass out. I started walking out into the woods. Not too long after I first ventured out, I heard the sound of running water. Obviously curious, I followed the sound of the water until I came upon a river, looking over my shoulder, I could see the structure just barely through the trees. How'd I not see this yesterday?

I knelt next to the river and grabbed the water bottle, putting it into the river, collecting the water. The water was really cold on my hand, making it a little numb, but it didn't bother me too much. I put it back into the backpack and stood up, brushing the dirt off my knees.

I walked along the river, trying to find out where it goes. It was almost comforting. The smells and sounds of this forest were natural but mystical. I sighed, wondering if any of this will be worth it. If I keep walking around, will I ever find an exit? There has to be an exit somewhere. I can't be stuck here forever.

I heard a low growl from the right of me, across the river. The river wasn't that wide, but too large for me to easily stepped across without getting my feet soaked. I stopped in my tracks and turned to look at the cause of the growl.

My mouth fell open at the creature in front of me. It stared back at me, it's black eyes shining from the sun peaking through the canopy. Whatever it was, it was terrifying, but beautiful. It had silky black fur that looked smooth and soft, large antlers protruding from its head. A long, boney tail swung behind it. One thing stood out to me though...It was a deep, red scar running from its nose up to it's left eye. One of it's black eye was tinted white. It must blind.

"H-hi," I mumbled, thinking it could understand me. It growled again, showing off pearly white, sharp and long teeth. I flinched and took a step back from the river back. It tilted its head, nodded, turned around and walked deeper into the forest, leaving me alone by the river.

I exhaled a breath I didn't know I was holding, placing a hand on my heart. Somewhat freaked, I started to make my way back to the structure. I didn't even have to use my compass, I could still see the structure from where I was standing by the river. 

I let my bag drop to the ground, sitting next to it on a log, staring at an empty fire pit. It looked as if a fire had previously been lit... I leaned forward, reaching my hand towards the blackened ashes. I was surprised to find out that they were still hot. I pulled my hand back quickly. I never lit a fire... Suddenly scared I started to yell out into the forest.

"Hello?!" The only response I got was my echo. "Hello, is someone out there?!" I yelled out again, but still got the same response; my own voice. I let my hands draped to my sides and winced. "Ow-- shit!" I held my hand. That burn was worse than I thought. 

I groaned, knowing that I'd have to climb up the ladder to get to the med-kit. I wandered over to the ladder and took a deep breath. I took a lot more work than expected, but I got to the med-kid. I opened and looked at it's contents again. I grabbed the bandage roll and wrapped my hands up throughly, surprising myself.

I admired my work before putting the kit back and climbing back down the ladder to my stuff. The day went by exceptionally fast. It was like I blinked and the sun was setting. I went on a little hunt to find some sticks and rocks. I somehow was able to make a fire for myself, being extra carful not to burn myself again. 

Turns out I live here with other animals besides Lineers--that's what I've decided to call that beautifully scary creature I saw today. There are actually a lot of different birds flying around here, I also think I saw a deer once.

Earlier today I had found chickweed and ate it as a sad excuse of a meal, but I made do. There really wasn't much here, but at the same time there was everything. Gorgeous views and wonderful sounds. I laid on my back, looking out to the clear sky above me. I noticed the moon first after looking skyward. It was full, shining a blue glow across the forest.

While the structure was reminiscent of a tree house, it was actually in a clearing. Small trees and shrubs grew around, of course, but the main area, the area where I was laying, the fire pit, was under a canopy of black sky. No leaves or branches obstructed my view. 

Despite the cloudless sky, I couldn't see a single star, which was always my favorite part of the night sky. I smiled as I closed my eyes, listening to the crackling of the fire. My smile quickly went away though as I remembered the this world was probably fake. A video game. I'm not actually here...

But... I raised my hand above my face and stared intently at it. I can feel pain.

I lowered my hand onto my stomach, continuing to stare off into space... well, whatever ceiling this hellish dome has painted for me. I took a deep breath in and closed my eyes again. I was tired. Extremely tired. Maybe this is a dream, maybe I'll wake up and be back in my room. Safe.

I never woke up back in my room.