𝗧𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲

Katniss

When I wake the next morning, my bones feel sore from tossing and turning all night. Peeta snores lightly, his chest moving up and down at a steady rhythm as I play with a loose strand of his hair. I gently shake Peeta awake, and he stirs slowly. I don't think he's that pleased with me waking him up, but we got to find water eventually, and the Careers might've made this their rendezvous spot. I won't risk Peeta for anything.

"Katniss? Is there something wrong?" He asks, stretching his arms as his bones crack from moving. Those beautiful baby blue eyes stare into my own dull grey ones as he starts making light circles on my back. This gesture is comforting in a way I can't explain. 

"No. I'd just like to get an early start today. You know, for water." I reply, cracking my knuckles loudly. My eyes slowly adjust to the soft morning sun flooding through the trees. I would stay here forever if it wasn't an arena. 

"Then why are you waiting? Let's go!" He says, picking up the sleeping bag and the other supplies that had fallen out during the night. We climb down the tree, our sore limbs screaming in pain as we walk down the meadow that surrounds the trees. Bright flowers pop around and sway with the comforting breeze. This place feels so awfully familiar, but I can't place a name or location. 

I start to sing a tune I remembered singing to my sister when she was a toddler. when I start, it's impossible to stop. A million words flood into my mind, which begs to be released into the world. But before I can stop myself, I start singing quietly.

"Deep in the meadow, hidden far away. A cloak of green, a moon beam ray. Forget your woes, and let your troubles lay. And when again it's morning, they'll wash away. 

"Here it's safe, and here it's warm. Here the daisies guard you from every harm. Here your dreams are sweet, and tomorrow brings them true. Here is the place where I love you."

Peeta looks at me, and I stop singing. My cheeks heat up with embarrassment as his blue eyes twinkle with admiration at me. "So it is true."

"What's true?" I ask, a small blush creeping onto my cheeks.

  "The mockingjays really do stop to listen to you sing. Even my father said your dad used to make them stop to listen. He said it's why your mom left the merchant's circle..." 

And sure enough, I started hearing the mockingjays start repeating my tune. The sounds are sweet in my ears, the notes flooding together to make a song. It's beautiful to listen to as Peeta and I hike through the meadow at a strolling pace. How can such a dangerous place be so beautiful? Or am I like a lie and still dreaming up in the treaty?

"We need to find a water source." I blurt out, our survival bringing me back to reality. I pinch my arm to make sure I'm not dreaming, which is effective. I feel more alive with the sharp pain seeping into my arm.

"Right." He replies, and we walk off, away from the meadow and the cluster of willow trees that provided us protection through the night.

Peeta

We walk for what seems like an endless amount of hours until we are sore and dehydrated. My vision is blurry, and I stumble around. 

"Jesus Peeta, are you alright?" Asks Katniss, as I make a poor attempt to stand up. "Let me help you."

"No no, I'll be okay," I reply, struggling to stand. I don't think I've ever gone longer witho

"Peeta, you're now okay. We need to find water, and fast." She picks me up, gasping lightly at my weight, and half drags half carries me over to a tree.

"Katniss.... their isn't a point. We should just die."

"Peeta! I thought you were the one always looking on the bright side of thi-"

"Not in this hell, Kat. Maybe it would be best for me to die. You'd have a better chance at winning."

"No no no no no! Peeta, please don't think like this."

"But-"

She cuts me off with a powerful kiss on my lips. My train of thought rides off into oblivion as my hands find her waist. After a few minutes, Katniss pulls away, tears threataning to spill from her smoky grey eyes which looked into mine.

"Please don't think like that, Peeta." Katniss stutters after a long and highly awkward pause.

"But-" I start, and I'm cut off again.

"Keep hope. The lake by the cornucopia can't be the only water source. Their has to be others. We'll find one eventually. We have to keeping moving though."

And that's exactly what we do. We go under a bush and cover ourselves with plants. Once we're done making our hideout, I'm actually impressed on how it turns out.

I fall asleep with Katniss's head laying one my chest, my eyes looking at the world above me. 

A rustle in the trees disturbs me from my thoughts. I panick, whipping my head around, determined to find the source of the sound.

"It's too loud to be an animal." Says Peeta, on the same train of thought I was.

"Then it must be a tribute." I say, panick, fear, and pain filling my eyes.

I get an arrow and as it's ready to fly, and the girl I nicknamed Foxface stops in front of us.

"Don't shoot me! I'm here to help!" She says quickly, and I set down my bow. "Please."

"Why?" Asks Peeta.

"Because...... ugh, I don't know."

"I don't wanna have to keep calling you Foxface, so what should I call you?" I ask.

"Finch. And you're Katniss and Peeta?"

"Yeah."

"You two look dehydrated, there's a steam up ahead along with some water I purified earlier."

"Okay."

I look at Finch as we follow her. "Foxfa- I mean Finch, you didn't really give us a real explanation on why you're helping us."

"I made a promise, that's all. Besides, you guys are nice. Don't waste all your energy on talking, Katniss. We're almost here."

And the last thing I hear is a scream. 

Peeta's POV

I'm tackled to the ground by an unknown figure. I try getting a good look at his or her face, but we're moving so fast I can't tell the tribute's gender.

The tribute is pulled off my chest by Finch and Katniss, who hold her. I see the girl struggling against the rope that Katniss tied to her.

"Rue?" Says Katniss, clearly confused of our ambush.

"Hi." Rue replies, her brown curly hair framing her face.

"Why'd you attack Peeta?" Asks Finch, her arms crossed over her chest. "You do realize these two have gone without water for nearly 3 days now, right?"

"I do know, actually. I've been stalking them for a while now. Not in a creepy way, but there when trouble happens." Rue explains.

"They why didn't you help us when we needed water?" I ask.

"Because I don't have any either."

"Then why didn't you come up and ask instead of tackling Peeta to the ground?" Asks Finch.

Rue shrugs. "I dunno. I guess I wanted my presence to be a surprise. It was so unlike me though. I'm sure if I tackled my mom to the ground she wouldn't be too happy with me."

Katniss sighs, untying Rue's restraints. "Then let's keep moving. You said we're almost there, Finch?"

"Yeah. Just 10 more minutes or something." Replies Finch, helping me up.

"Then let's get moving."