Epilogue: New Year, New Beginnings

The problem currently facing Scott was that he was sure if he pulled Douglas aside for any reason whatsoever, the entire Hale clan was going to figure out his plans — and want to get in on them.

They were wonderful people, and he did honestly enjoy spending time with them, but he didn't want to have to go five rounds with Rachel and Theresa on when and where he was going to propose — and that was all assuming that Douglas gave his permission.

After all, Scott knew who he was. He knew that Douglas knew what kind of life Scott would be asking Annie to live, even if he never went back to the X-Men. That shadow was going to follow him for the rest of his life; they'd already seen it in that little town.

And listening to Evelyn talk about being an Army wife, listening to Rachel talk about her worry when Anton had to respond to violent calls on the force... he knew that Douglas knew exactly what that life did to families. There was every chance he would say no.

And Scott respected Annie's family too much to do this without their permission.

But the perfect opportunity presented itself just before New Year's Eve. Anton had to work — because, as people partied on New Year's Eve, they tended to make stupid decisions, and someone had to make sure that stayed contained — and Evelyn had taken all of the girls, even Leslie Ann and Mary Beth, out for some time with her daughters.

And when Craig went upstairs to put Aman down for a nap, Scott seized the rare opportunity for a moment alone with Douglas that he didn't have to ask for. After all, it might never happen again.

"I wonder if I could have a word," he said in a low tone to Douglas.

The older man turned toward Scott with a slow smile but didn't say anything outright, simply gesturing for Scott to go ahead and speak his mind.

Scott nodded to himself and cleared his throat once, sitting up a little straighter. He had faced down supervillains and armies of aliens in his time, but this kind of thing... it never got easier, even if he'd already done it before.

He took a deep breath and held it for a long moment before, finally, he let it out again. Just do it, he told himself an instant before he said, "I wanted to ask your permission to marry your daughter."

For an instant, Scott could feel the bottom drop out of his stomach. Saying it out loud... he couldn't take it back now. He couldn't delay, couldn't put it off — it was out there now, and no matter what Douglas's reaction would be, their relationship had shifted.

Scott hadn't realized he was holding his breath until he needed to breathe as he watched Douglas slowly nodding. But that didn't stop the second his heart skipped a beat as Douglas leaned forward, looking as serious as Scott had ever seen him.

"You gonna treat her right?" he asked in a slow drawl, looking right at Scott to hold his gaze as much as it was possible to do with the glasses in the way.

Scott wished that Douglas could see the fact that he was serious, that he was holding his gaze as he nodded. "Absolutely."

"You gonna keep her safe?"

"Yes, of course," Scott said. "I won't let what I used to be touch her."

Douglas paused at that as he looked Scott over with slightly narrowed eyes. He leaned forward, his hands clasped together. "Course it will," he said. "You're askin' her to marry you; you don't get to say what part of you she's marryin'."

Scott froze for an instant and then shook his head. "That doesn't change anything," he insisted. "I won't let it touch her. She deserves the life she's built for herself, and I won't ruin that."