#11 - Confrontation

She ran to Jenna's. Her feet barely hitting the road. She had barely heard her mother calling her for breakfast. When she reached her friend's house, she pounded on door. An old guy opened it up when she was between knocking. He clearly looked annoyed.
"Jenna, she hasn't left for school, has she?" Simone rasped, breathing heavily. Before she could get a reply, Jenna was there.
"Simone, you ok? What...what are you doing here so early in the morning and......." She stopped when she saw the camera in Simone's hand. Suddenly she went tense and rigid.
"Come...come on in. Gramps, I have something really important to discuss about our history project before school, ok?" Jenna told her grandfather and dragged Simone inside the house. She didn't let go of her hand as they went up the stairs and into Jenna's room. Simone didn't even stop and thrusted the camera at Jenna. Without a word, they re-watched the video. Jenna's hands shook at the part where Simone had dropped the camera.
"Yours?" Brianna had chewed out the words.
"Leave, Quinlynn." The deep voice had commanded. The video ended with Brianna disappearing into the thin air.

"This...this is....I told you." Jenna said, putting away the camera.
"What..what do we do now? I mean...I...uh...what did I ever do to attract his attention? Whoever it is." Simone said, rubbing her forearms to ward off the chill.
"I don't know Simone, I really don't." Jenna whispered back, still holding the camera. Nodding, Simone took back her camera and left for her house to get ready for the day at school.

"Where have you been? Is everything ok?" Her father asked her just outside the main door. Seeing him all ready for office, Simone had an idea. It was time to face whatever demons lurked in the town. She didn't want to wait and be hunted.
"Dad, I have an important message for the mayor. Think you can drop it off at her office?" Her father raised his eyebrow at her, his mouth slightly ajar. "I mean, just slip into her office from under the door. You can do that, right?" Simone added hastily.
"Honey, if there is any issue regarding anything, you can talk to me or your mom."
"No, everything is alright. Its just that there is something I want the mayor to know. I don't want others to find out. Yet." She said with a forced smile.

I've found Matthew Brown, son of Tom and Martha Brown. If you want to meet him, come by Dawsons' house. Alone.

Simone didn't feel too confident after handing over the note to her father. A number of times, she wanted to rush to the mayor's office and take the note back from her father. Seeing Brianna act normal at school didn't help either now that she was alone. Nathan was gone. Everyone for except two people acted as if everything was alright in the world. Kyle joked and talked with his friends. If was clear that he had forgotten everything that had happened in the forest yesterday. Everyone acted as if Nathan Woods had never existed.

"This is insane." Jenna had whispered to her in their literature class. Vanessa and Brianna had thrown her a look, clearly confused at the sudden closeness between Simone and Jenna. When Simone opened her mouth to say more at the matter, Jenna elbowed her and then jerked her head subtly towards Brianna sitting just two seats away. Simone wanted to say that there was no light and there were no shadows. How would Brianna know?

When Simone couldn't take anymore, she went to stand by Nathan's locker. It was her first time standing there. Before, it had always been Nathan waiting for her at her locker. It was unlocked. Simone opened it hesitantly, looking over her shoulders to see if anyone was looking at her suspiciously. No one was. She was sure they all had forgotten about Nathan Woods. He had been wiped from their memories. Simone clenched her jaw and looked inside the locker. It was empty. It was as if it had been empty since forever.
"I'm sorry, I can't do it." She whispered and ran out. No one stopped her as she cycled back to her house. Her parents were not at home so she let herself in and rushed to her bedroom where she let her tears flow.