Watty Awards 2020 - For Your Consideration

Dear Wattys judges,

     I almost didn't upload this story.

     Did I go too far?

     What if I'm misinterpreted?

     Is it still too soon?

     I've seen Generation Z come into their own on Wattpad in the last few years, and their fascination with superheroes and collectivism inspired me to write a story from a point in time, not long ago, when mainstream entertainment standards were on the other end of the spectrum.

     Set in the distressing wake of September 11, Fighting Animals is a neo-noir-inspired novella that examines a Hollywood on the cusp of two historical shifts in entertainment: the cinematic "Comic Book Renaissance" of the early-2000's and the rise of mixed martial arts from "human cockfighting" taboo to sports franchise giant. The lives of three young Americans intertwine as they struggle to define what heroism and tolerance mean to them, at a time in which the mainstream media didn't have answers.

     As a MMA practitioner, I was disappointed to see countless books written about mixed martial artists and "underground street fighters" that portray these athletes as arrogant, violent sociopaths romanticizing a distasteful stereotype.

     With that, I followed Toni Morrison's advice and wrote the story I wanted to read; a genre-blending, character-driven, literary thriller.

     Writing Fighting Animals was an emotional challenge. Through its characters, readers will take an uncomfortable look at mental health, mass hysteria, Islamophobia, racism, and radical animal rights, but also the emotional healing balm found in comedy, community, mentors, and love.

     With "The Roaring Twenties" underway and many superhero franchises winding down, I wonder what viewers are left with now that their cinematic reign has ended. Did these films inspire the rise of suffering heroes, or awestruck victims?

     Fighting Animals has been line and copy edited for your reading pleasure. With digestible paragraphs, indentations, and line breaks, its text format and structure is optimal for mobile devices, and it is exclusively available on Wattpad.

     You'll find hundreds of black and white GIFs dispersed throughout each chapter. My goal was to create a unique reading experience, a "readable movie" of sorts, and I discuss how and why I used GIFs in "Discussion Points, Disclaimers, & Final Thoughts".

     This is not an American story, but a human one, by a human, for all humans. 

     Thank you for letting me write this for you.

Claudia E. Duran, aka Lola Dom