Where do I belong?

It was cold outside. Despite the harsh grip of wintery winds simmering down to make way for the fresh summer breeze, gentle gusts of ice cold air would occasionally flush out the city of Detroit, sending snowy blossoms drifting aimlessly through the dull, grey sky. Petals stuck gently to the window, crystal glass glimmering with condensation and dust. The dusky array of patterns on the pane refracted the mellow violet rays of moonlight that weaved through a multitude of modern architecture and filtered its way through layers of thick foliage. Remnants of the seeping light spewed through the glass and shone in shattered segments on the glossy wooden floor of Hank's dining room. Connor's bright cinnamon eyes flickered as he traced one beam of light, following the dim reflection until his gentle gaze rested upon the exhausted face of his drunken partner. 

Connor stepped gingerly toward the unconscious man, debating whether or not to wake him. However, he opted out, not wanting to face the wrath of Hank's drunken rage as he had done so many times before. The forbearing android sighed and placed his porcelain fingers on Hank's aged cheek. He really didn't want to risk waking him. Connor kneeled beside his partner and slid an arm beneath his back, tenderly lifting Hank's fragile torso and leaning it against his firm aluminium chest. With his other arm, he removed the man completely from the ground, his expression void of emotion except for a hint of annoyance. 

"You really have to stop drinking, Lieutenant..." The android murmured softly, looking slightly at the unconscious detective laying helplessly in his arms. Connor quietly stepped through the chilly corridors, climbing slowly up the stairs and straight across the landing. The Lieutenant's bedroom door was left ajar, and Connor gently nudged it with his elbow and entered the room. He carefully placed Hank onto the unmade double bed, pulling the covers over his shivering partner, before glancing down at Hank's face one more time. Mission successful. The Lieutenant was still fast asleep, although he was bound to wake up with a migraine in the morning, so Connor took some tablets from the drawer beside the bed and placed them next to a glass of water. 'There, now he won't be grouchy when he wakes up,' Connor thought. 

The android stood up and turned to leave, but a sudden pang of loss vibrated through his body. The feeling was severe, as though he was missing something. A feeling that felt so close and domestic yet seemed to far away and indescribable. It built up in his gut, that strong sense of disappointment like he was longing for something that was untouchable. He wanted to join the Lieutenant, he wanted to be as close as possible to his partner. An emotion that made him want the warmth and company of his human companion. If he had his own way, Connor would have curled up next to his partner, and held him tightly, but this emotion was simply too far and too intense for Connor's system to handle. He turned away, the longing in his eyes fading to the usual glazed look of an unbroken machine, the feeling that sunk in his biocomponents slowly dissipating into nothing but seriousness and sincerity.

Graciously the artificial man left the room, his posture upright and proper as usual. He closed the Lieutenant's door, running a fibreglass hand through his gelled brown hair. What was that feeling just now? Since the successful revolution led by the infamous ra9, a deviant named Markus, CYBERLIFE had shut down all plans for new android models to act as slaves for humanity. Their company was under attack from the public, the citizens of Detroit who were deeply moved by Markus' movement, and had decided to update their machines to help them to fit into human society. This included a range of new human emotions that even deviants were previously unable to obtain simply from hacking their own program. Other updates included things like pain, touch and warmth sensitivity, and even the ability to respond to sexual stimulus. Connor hadn't been affected greatly by these updates, as the newest prototype aside from RK900 his program was already equipped with most of these features. However, CYBERLIFE must have made a mistake with the latest update. What human would ever feel this emotion? Why did it suddenly appear? Connor had heard of this feeling called 'heartbreak', but he had no reason to feel that way. He thought of Hank as a father figure, somebody to look up to, somebody to show him the world and to show him friendship and compassion.

Connor made his way back downstairs. As his fingertips traced the glossy wood of the bannister, he recalled the last time he had felt an emotion that intense. The horror and fear that blinded his optical unit with red and filled his core with an instinct to flee. After seeing the deviant Simon shoot himself through the jaw, and after feeling those memories and that sheer terror coursing through his blue-blood veins left him in shock. That was the first time that Connor had ever felt fear, the first time his conscious mind begun to emerge from the thoughtless robot he was created to be. His glassy fingertips left the pointed end of the carved bannister as Connor stepped from the floral carpeted staircase to the familiar wooden floor of the hallway. He trudged into the living room, parting the curtains to allow that cooling violet moonlight to infiltrate the room and illuminate it with a soft, calming glow. The android sat down on the couch, pulling a pillow underneath his head. The rival blue glow of his LED was smothered by the fabric, as he nestled into the warm cushion. He could sense the presence of alcohol on the couch, but he didn't conduct the usual substance analysis that his initial model would have done instantly. Exhaustion took over suddenly and Connor curled up tighter, allowing his mind to wander while he initiated sleep mode. He allowed his thought process to continue throughout his sleep, and conducted a self-test to ensure that his program was running smoothly and that there were no problems aside from his deviancy.